1) Two days into the NEW Toxic Med That May Or May Not Clear Up The Rash, Chickadee is feeling fine. It remains to be seen if it does anything for her rash, but after the last med pretty much made her want to die, this is progress.
2) The new med causes birth defects, so “standard protocol” is that you have to go on record with the “two redundant forms of birth control” the patient will be using for the duration of treatment. While the jokes this has spawned are ongoing (she’s 13! she still thinks boys are icky!), I still think Otto wins for his suggestion of “fear and loathing” as her two chosen methods.
3) I gave a fun talk at the University last night. My slide deck featured a picture of Licorice. I popped it up and half the room went, “Awwww!” and that made the entire thing worth it to me. (MAH BAYBEE!)
4) Yesterday I lent my ice cream maker to Hippie School so that they could have a project and a treat. I included all ingredients, necessary tools, and written directions. They… never plugged it in. (The cord sits in a recessed well in the back, and I guess they didn’t see it. The maker employs a frozen cylinder, so they just let the mixture sit in there, I guess, which means it eventually turned into… something kinda slushy.) This is both A) hilarious and B) a relief, as everything has been so completely wonderful over there I was starting to think the teachers were a perfect alien species come to Earth to assimiliate us. Knowing they’re fallible is oddly comforting to me. (Also: When I emailed—after Monkey told me about it—to say, “Really? You couldn’t find the plug? How was the ice cream soup?” Teresa mailed back, “That’s ice cream milkshake, Missy, and they all loved it.” Heh.)
5) I don’t really have a fifth thing. Except for this: the days are starting to blend together, again. Not in the it’s-too-frantic-make-it-stop kind of way, but in the life-is-proceeding-and-it-feels-about-right kind of way. And I am grateful for every single uneventful, lovely moment of it.