Cheers, not tears

There were a few things different, this year, as we tried to corral the kids for pictures and they rolled their eyes and bickered and insisted they were just plain over it. For one thing, even in wedges, and even on her tiptoes, Chickadee can no longer even pretend to be taller than Monkey. For another, I sent one of the pictures to Kira and she immediately sent back, “I don’t mean to alarm you, but someone has swiped your baby boy and replaced him with an enormous man.” (This is true. Also: Terrifying.)

We were having fun. Then Otto mentioned that this would be our last photo of two sets of shoes together on the first day of school. That’s different, too. That’s nothing short of miraculous, frankly.

2015-first-day-shoes

Senior year skulls, junior year WOW THAT IS BRIGHT GREEN.

We’re in the final countdown to liftoff, and I’ve never been more excited. You can head to Alpha Mom for more details on why I won’t be wasting any time being sad this year.

10 Responses to “Cheers, not tears”

Katie in MA August 11, 2015 at 12:17 pm #

Holy jeebus. I swear just yesterday I was reading posts about how to buy pull-ups in bulk for cheap. So…um…hooray on all the accomplishments? ;-)

Sabrina D. August 11, 2015 at 2:01 pm #

OMG! Where did you find the skull shoes?? My daughter would LOVE those!

• 2.1
      Mir August 11, 2015 at 2:04 pm #

Ha! You’re the second person to ask. These shoes actually made a prior appearance years ago, which means I think they are no longer being made. But, for reference: they’re Dorie Skulls by Volatile.

Laura August 11, 2015 at 3:10 pm #

I don’t mean to alarm you but some man made his way into the pictures instead of Monkey. This is crazy.

Jess August 11, 2015 at 4:42 pm #

Chickie’s shoes are super cute!

Hall August 11, 2015 at 11:35 pm #

I need a pair of those green shoes for a costume thing we do… what brand are they? Where can I find them? Thanks!

• 5.1
      Mir August 12, 2015 at 6:54 am #

His shoes are a discontinued style of Vans I got on big sale from Tilly’s a while back.

Mary K. in Rockport August 13, 2015 at 1:18 pm #

Oh boy, do I remember that crying in the shower, crying in the car thing. Those were the only private places I could “let my hair down.”

Jessica (tc) August 13, 2015 at 11:07 pm #

My husband bought this card for me this week, because I’m kind of doing a fly-free-even-though-I’m-terrified thing right now: https://www.kenspeckleletterpress.com/shop/fierce-little-chickadee-notecards (I wear a necklace with this quote all of the time, so it’s a favorite Shakespeare quote of mine — even though it’s a funny insult in the actual moment of the play.)

Even though your own Chickadee is little(r than her brother), she is fierce and bright and brilliant. She’s going to shine no matter where she is. :)

Chris August 16, 2015 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks for sharing the first day of school photo – always an exciting and happy time and this year should be no different.