Happy, happy reunion: A guest post from Chickadee

She’s home! SHE’S HOME! I shall love her and hug her and squeeze her and call her George Chickadee. Oh, wait. I already did that. And then, she wrote you this post. MAH BAYBEE, growing up and stuff. Enjoy! —M

What have I missed most about being home? Is it the home cooked meals, or the dog licking my tonsils every time I open my mouth to talk? Or maybe it’s the higher-than-30-degrees weather?

No. No, it would definitely have to be my brother waking me up in the morning by repeatedly hitting me in the face with my own dirty sock. Ah, home sweet (er, smelly) home.

After that lovely encounter, the morning festivities began. There was a whirlwind of smoothies, dog slobber, and coffee* (which apparently I’m not supposed to share with the dog. Who knew?) We are very busy here at the Georgia house, obviously.

At breakfast, Monkey went on and on about how I should really try some of the fudge he made; there’s “Dark Chocolate Peppermint,” “Milk Chocolate Caramel Swirl,” and “White Chocolate OMG-my-sister’s-back-which-deems-me-incapable-of-shutting-up.” Actually, I may have made that last one up…. But it was cute, and I love my brother (and fudge), so I don’t mind.

Last night at the airport, I discovered that there was free wifi (which is always very exciting for me, due to the fact that I am addicted to have a deep personal interest in the Internet). So of course, I immediately had to pull out my laptop and IM my mother, because I am just that cool.

me: i have no idea if im at the right gate…
Mama: Not funny, kid.
me: i mean, im at E1E, which is what it says on my boarding pass
but i dont know if they changed my gate
lemme go check
Mama: ok
me: yep, im in the right place
Mama: good
I’m about to get off the computer.
me: :( *cries*
Mama: So you’ll have to amuse yourself. ;)
me: waah?
i could go read ur blog??
IT’LL BE JUST LIKE TALKING TO YOU!
Mama: Uh. No?
me: YAY THANKS
Mama: Rotten child. ;)
Go read a BOOK.
me: imma read mommy’s blog! IT’LL BE SO EXCITING!
IT’S LIKE SHES TALKING TO ME EXCEPT SHE PROB. TALKS BAD ABOUT ME
Mama: Uh, I do NOT.
me: lemme check :P

In case you were not already aware, I have been informed in the past that I am not allowed to read my mother’s blog**. But, as you can see, I am NOT a super great listener… heh-heh… so I went and read her latest post.

Fast-forward to this morning, after breakfast. We were discussing Animal Farm, and somehow that led to the topic of her blog (not a clue how that happened). I mentioned to my mother that if she let me comment on a post, my supposed “fan club” would overflow with glee. However, since I’m not supposed to be on her site anyway, that would create some logistical issues. But then, there was MAGIC. Magic, I tell you.

My wonderful, fantabulous, magical mother said something along the lines of, “You can comment on my blog if you read it, as long as you comment as Chickadee. I mean, it’s not a secret that you look at my blog sometimes. And, you’re right, that would make my readers happy. They LOVE you. How would you like to write a guest post today?”

And then my head exploded.

Anyway. I’ve been writing this post for about two hours now…. My mother has mentioned several times that I clearly do not understand the concept of deadlines. She has a point. So now I am going to go do important things, like snuggle my dog and eat fudge.

You are all wonderful and pretty. And you have very nice shoes. If they are size 8, I would love to borrow them. Please and thanks.

Love,
Chickadee

P.S. When your head overflows with excitement from my post, please make sure to catch the runoff in a container. It may be difficult to clean off of the carpet.

*I’m still not exactly sure how I keep convincing my mother to give me caffeine….

**This makes no sense to me at all. The only reason I can think of is that my awesomeness would infect her blog and then it would just explode into rainbows and glitter.

195 Responses to “Happy, happy reunion: A guest post from Chickadee”

Melissa December 21, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Best Christmas present EVER – we love you! (And no it’s not creepy that I’m a total stranger, I swear.)

Robin December 21, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Welcome home, Chickadee :)

diane December 21, 2012 at 11:56 am #

I am cracking up, this is so great.
    Happy Christmas, Mir & Chickie, Monkey & Otto, and Licorice too!

Sarah K December 21, 2012 at 11:56 am #

I love EVERYTHING about this.

liz December 21, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Tee hee! Love you, Chickadee, and love your mom! Tell her that. I have owed her an email for weeks and weeks, and I’ve just been … out of commission. But I’m delighted – beyond delighted, as a matter of fact – that you’re back in GA! (And I’ve been to your house before, but I don’t think you remember. It’s been a while.)

meghann @ midgetinvasion December 21, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Welcome back to Georgia, Chickadee!

I was able to keep from exploding into rainbows and glitter whilst reading your post, but I did grin like a fool through the whole thing.

Your mama should let you guest post more often; methinks you inherited her writing talents.

Claire December 21, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Hope you have a wonderful christmas Chickadee (smelly socks and all). I see a blog of your own in the future :-) xo from Canada

Lisa December 21, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Love, love, love this! Merry Christmas to all of you!

Megan December 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Chickadee – dude, I am size 8 and I totally covet your boots so don’t even go there.

Welcome home!

Enjoy the fudge, and the preternaturally clean tonsils, and the extra-super-special momma hugs you’re going to get at all moments of the day or night.

Glad to hear your voice!

Caroline December 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

My goodness: apple, tree, etc. Such a nice treat, too!

Zuska December 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

<3 this, Chickadee!!! You can sub for your mother anytime (well, anytime she lets you)!!!

Margaret December 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

This makes me very, very happy! I think you are right about the rainbows and glitter.

Kelly Dyar December 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

My world is exploding with glitter!!! Love your guest post, love that you are home, love that there is lots of cuddling!

Brenda December 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

What an awesome way to start a day (yes, I am just starting my day…what?). Welcome home and hope you have a very merry time of it all!

deva December 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

**GLITTERSPLOSION**

what do I do with the brain run-off? Also, you remind me of my sister when she was about your age. Which just goes to show how freaking fantastic and awesome you BOTH are :-). Welcome home!

HG December 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

So glad to hear from you Chickadee :)

Kathy December 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

So happy to hear you made it home safe and sound. Also, you are an excellent and amazingly articulate writer!

Little Bird December 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Welcome home!! I, too, wear a size eight and covet your boots, but I live in the mountains with snow and ice and I don’t think they’d survive too long.
    Your Mama should be proud, this has been a funny and entertaining post! I love it!
    I think I may have just burped some glitter….

Crystal December 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

You’re awesome. Your family is awesome. Love that you were a guest writer. Praying for you all, always!

Christina December 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Welcome home Chickadee!

Brenda December 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Now MY head’s exploding. ZOMG IT’S CHICKADEE AND WE LOVE HER! On my way to work this morning I was hoping that we’d see a post that she made it to GA safely. This is ten times better! And while we often hear of Chickadee’s wit and humor, it’s pretty awesome to see it firsthand. :) Much love and merriment to the Mir family!

Emily in IL December 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Chickie – you are your mother’s daughter :)! Mir – thanks for sharing her with your fans!

Meg December 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Much love and Christmas happiness to you and your wonderful mom!

Chris G December 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Welcome home Chickie. Your momma is overjoyed to have you home. Enjoy the holidays with your family.

Alysia December 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

This post is all full of awesome. Welcome home.
    Now I want some fudge.

Tracy B December 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year, Chickadee!!! It’s so awesome you have your mom’s sense of humor! Welcome Home!!!!!

Aimee December 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Well, *I’m* going to make my brainsplosion into fudge. It seems like a natural thing to do.

welcome home, Chickadee! You’re a wonderful writer, just like your mom, and I’m proud to be a member of your fan club.

Michele December 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Great to hear from you Chickie! Have a wonderful visit at home!

RooBearMom December 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I was thinking “apples and trees” too! Thanks for the great post. I’ll share my fabulous size 8′s (any of my ridiculously huge collection), if you share some fudge. Anyway, have a wonderful,MIRthful Christmas!!

Michelle December 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Welcome home kiddo. I have to say, dear child, that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, you are just as entertaining as your mom. It’s so nice to know that the year is ending on a high note for you and your family and I’m wishing you all the very best in the coming year.

Mary Fran December 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Best. Christmas. Ever. Now go whack Monkey with his dirty sock and call it even. Enjoy your days at home. Wallow in the love… and dog drool.

Rachael December 21, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Chikadee, you have your mother’s talent. I enjoyed reading your work.

Alison C December 21, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Welcome home, Chickadee. Great post!

Crista December 21, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

You’re home! You’re home! *ahem* I mean, Welcome Home! I hope you enjoy every second of your visit.
    Your writing is fantastic. You had me smiling and laughing thru the whole thing.
    Merry Christmas Chickadee. I hope its your best one yet.

Lydia December 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

Welcome home, Chickadee! Can you please post those recipes for that fudge!? :-)

Therese December 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

The person who is responsible for vacuuming my office is VERY glad that there were no explosions of rainbows and glitter here, but we are VERY glad that you are home to see your family. Very good job with the post–apparently the writing gene does not fall far from the tree. Enjoy your visit!

Rachel December 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Welcome home Chickadee! Happy Holidays to your whole family!

Anna Marie December 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Welcome home Chickie!! I hope you guys have a fabulous Christmas! (You are a great writer, btw.)

Liz December 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Merry Christmas, Chickie! Yay!!!!!!

Laura December 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

What a great post all around! So happy Chickadee is home and you all seem to be having a lovely time. What a great way to end the year. And Chickadee’s definitely inherited her mother’s writing talents – so witty!

Jean December 21, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Chickadee!!!! You are awesome and fabulous and so pretty :) If I had size 8 shoes I would totally let you borrow them (my sister NEVER let me borrow her shoes growing up – sniff snuffle sniff)

It is so good to see you back with your mom. Yes, we all love you and have been sending our vibes of ***be awesome*** to you.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Little brothers are very special and I think you know that. Dogs that lick out your tonsils as you talk are special too (I have one of those myself).

PS…did she sleep in your room last nite?

(((HUGS)))

Diane December 21, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

This post is overflowing with glitter and awesomeness and charm and wit…I could go on all day, if you like.

Actually, this post doesn’t hold a candle to fantabulous-ness of its author. You now have milllions of enchanted new best friends and a virtually unlimited shoe closet.

Karli December 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Chickadee, you are beautiful and wonderful and I am so so so glad you are here. Welcome home, sweet girl. You are loved.

Steph December 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Proud member of the Chickadee Fan Club!

Janée December 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

So, so excited your mom let you guest write! Loved it! Love you!

Sharon December 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Thank you, remarkable-young-woman Chickadee. Hearing your “voice” is an amazing gift. Enjoy this special time with your Georgia family ~

Navhelowife December 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

We do love you…and your writing is wonderful!!!! Enjoy your time in the warmer weather…although today is rather chilly!!!
    But alas, my shoes would be way too big for you ;(

ClumberKim December 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Welcome home, Chickadee. Please give your mother many, many hugs. Last night my 7 year old son asked me if he could have a blog. I hope writes as well as you do!

Dara December 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

Love it!

Jan in Norman, OK December 21, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Good. Very, very good.

Alice December 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

The ‘woohoo!’ tag is most definitely appropriate for this post. Glad you made it back safely, despite the attack of the crud this week, and yay to getting to read you on the blog! Here’s to more guest posts/comments from you, in between a busy schedule of fudge-eating and dog-petting.

Carolyn December 21, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

Welcome home Chickadee!!!

Fairly Odd Mother December 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Chickadee, I hope you know how much you are LOVED here on this blog and how happy you just made me by writing this. Enjoy the fudge, the doggie kisses, and even the stinky brother’s socks.

Something tells me you have a future in blogging. Seems like you’ve inherited the same goofy sense of humor as your mama (that’s a compliment to both of you).

Merry, merry Christmas!

Angela December 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

Merry Christmas and welcome home Chickadee! You are a great writer, do more of it! And have a Super Sparkly day!

jodie December 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Chickie! We are so happy to have you home and on the blog officially. I’m sure you know just how many of us are rooting for you. And not to worry, I had a tupperware handy.

Traci December 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Considering I was smiling from the first to the last word of this post, and now am nearly overcome by a feeling of happiness, I can imagine that your mom will have perma-grin all through the holidays. Hope you all enjoy your time together!

Gaylin December 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

Chickadee! So glad you are home for the holidays. If you are ever in Vancouver, BC, you can borrow my shoes (size 8) but you probably won’t want to, they are all ugly (but comfortable).

Great blog!

Shelley December 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

Yah! Chickadee is home!!!! Loved your post Chickadee. Merry Christmas!

bryan December 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Your wonderful, fantabulous, magical mother writes about you, and even if she’s (ahem) brutally honest about not liking something you do, she overflows with oozy caramel goodness and fudge about how wonderful, fantabulous, and magical you are. (And how odd that fantabulous gets a red squiggly line the 2nd and 3rd time but not the first?)

And OMG, you not only LOOK like your mother (met you at Vagina Monologues last year), but you WRITE like her too! Color me with fuming jealousy out of my ears.

ste December 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

So glad that you’re home, Chickadee. And ohmygoshdoyouwritelikeyourmother but I never said that because your a teenager and who wants to be told they have the same great talent of writing as their mother does! Happy Christmas to you all!

Annette December 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

So happy you are home:). Have a very Merry Christmas and a New Year full of God’s Blessings.

Fabs December 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Great post Chickie! So glad you are home with your mama, I don’t know what she would have done if you hadn’t made it. Enjoy each other while you are there. Merry Christmas.

Rebecca December 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

*waving frantically* HIIIIII CHICKIEEEEEEE!!!!!!

So happy to read your guest post! Have a wonderful Christmas with your family! Hope next year is a better one for all of you!

((hugs))

Jessica December 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Wait…no way. Mir, are you impersonating your daughter, or is your daughter impersonating you? It’s like a mini-Mir is writing. It’s…almost…meta. (That said “meat” accidentally first, but I fixed it. You’re welcome, because otherwise you both would have just been confused.)

Awesome! Both that Chickadee is at home in Georgia and that she sounds a heck of a lot like her wonderful mom. I see the wit? She runs in the family. Apparently writing does, too.

Merry Christmas!

Barnmaven December 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Methinks Chickadee needs to start a blog of her own. She hath talent.

joaaanna December 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

CHICKADEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Hooray! Welcome home and Merry Christmas!

And, my, you are very talented when it comes to writing! Really. No. Really!

PS – Hello Monkey!

Redneck Mommy December 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

A complete stranger, from Northern Canada, cheering you on Chickadee. Merry Christmas to you and your family. And welcome home. Your momma missed you.

Flannery December 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Your mom has shown me much kindness and support, via the magical world of Facebook. I can only imagine how much more wonderful she must be in real life, as your mom. I truly hope you all have a wonderful holiday together, full of laughter and joy.

TC December 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

We know where you got the writing gene from, Chickadee!

TC December 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Whoops. Meant to say…Welcome home, happy holidays, and especially best wishes for a great new year! Now go hug your mom. She needs it. We moms always do.

karen December 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Chickadee, you are BRILLIANT!!!! WOW, you have definitely inherited your mothers writing talent and hilarious sense of humor. I think I can honestly say this is my most favorite Would Shoulda post ever. Holy crow, you oughta write for a living.. and you are HOW OLD??…. You go girl.

You can’t borrow my shoes though ….Most of them have been mucking around our barn, ….so you really wouldn’t want to – you thought dogs licking your tonsils was gross?

Have a Merry Merry Christmas and an awesome 2013 – and buy your mom some chocolate covered bacon, I think she deserves it :-)

Brian December 21, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

>>(Not really. That would probably make it a little difficult for me to write this.)

Oh I see she doesn’t take after you AT ALL.

Enjoy the fudge and dog slobber. Welcome home (yes, I’m a big fan).

Ladybug December 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Happy Holidays, Chickadee!

Karen Chatters December 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Greatest post EVER on this here fancy blog. Welcome home Chicadee, your mama, she has missed you. (and we’re all very glad that you’re home.)

Deirdre December 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Woo-hoo, Chickadee’s home! Hey, why is there glitter all over my living room?

Merry Christmas to the whole Mir Family. I hope you have a wonderful time together.

Pop C December 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Welcome “home”, Chickie. I love your sense of humor and writing style. But, then you had a good teacher.

jodifur December 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

YEAHHHHHHHH!

Tenessa December 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

A Chickie post! You are SO like your mother. You sound just like her. heh :) Merry Christmas!!

CarolM December 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Welcome home, Chickadee!

Robin December 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Probably my most favorite post of all!

Becky December 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

Chickadee, you should talk to your mom about a standing column. As you can see, we all love hearing from you. Welcome home!

Kelly December 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

Welcome home! You are a clever girl and I loved reading your post. Enjoy every minute with your family, you are all so lucky to have each other. Merry Christmas!

Meg December 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Welcome home Chickadee. So happy to read your joyous post and hope you have a great vacation and a fabulous 2013. All the best to your entire family.

Genevieve December 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

GLEEEEEESPLOSION!!!!!!!!

oops, I gotta clean up that glee. Should’ve heeded your advice and maybe laid down a tarp.

Totally thrilled and overjoyed to read your guest post, Chickadee. You are a funny and talented writer. and YAY YAY YOU’RE HOME with your Mama and smelly-sock-wielding brother and Otto and tonsil-slurping dog.
    Happy happy holidays!!

Anna December 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

It *is* very hard to believe this is just Chickadee writing, and not Mir. Your “voice” is so similar. Lovely.

Chickadee, we love you SO much, I am glad you made it to Georgia, glad your family is smothering you. Thanks for writing to us.

And no, there’s no way you’re borrowing my shoes- what a TEENAGER! Ugh. Besides, my oldest daughter is 10, and just wearing 3s, for now. I refuse to believe that children your age might be sharing shoes with her mother. Too bad for you.

Cheyenna December 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Yay!! Welcome home, Chickadee. Loved your guest post. I hope we hear from you again from time to time.

Nancy December 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

It must be a little strange for all of us to be so happy, but I’ve been reading your moms blog since forever. I’m so happy you are home for Christmas. Daughers are wonderful.
    (and so totally wishing I was out of 30 degree weather – now a combination of cold rain mixed with cold snow in Mass).

The Other Leanne December 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Shazzam, Chickadee, this is like Christmas came early! You write so well, and with a very familiar “voice.” We are your fans and your cheering section! It’s going to take months to get all the glitter out of the rug. Have a wonderful time with your family–hug your brother so hard he complains, then hug him some more. Merry Christmas to all.

Arnebya December 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Welcome home. Merry Christmas, and thanks for making me tear up AFTER MY HEAD EXPLODED FROM THE AWESOME AND OH LOOK DANG I DON’T HAVE A CONTAINER (it’s okay; hardwood.)

You are loved by so many people, Chickie; please remember that. It won’t change. Ever. Also, your mom is awesome. You must now tell her that 26 times today by addressing her as MomAwesome, AwesomeMom, or Awesomeer (see what I did there?). It’ll bring you good luck and presents. Promise.

Beth B. December 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

You are awesome! happy holidays and welcome home. loved reading your post! now go have some more fudge and caffeine!! :-)

Kyre December 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

We do all love and adore you very muchly, Chickadee.

Be gentle with yourself. And your mom. And your brother.

But, especially yourself.

I like this quote: Be nice to yourself, it’s hard to be happy when someone is mean to you all the time.

That quote helps me smile. Maybe it can make you smile sometimes too.

Merry Christmas.

Love,
    The Internet.

Valerie December 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Sorry, Chickadee, I wear a yacht-sized 11 shoe. :)

But reading this post absolutely made my day, so thank you for that! I’ve never encountered a situation where I could tell two people were related just by how they sound in writing, but oh my… you ARE your mother’s daughter. :) I *loved* reading this!!

Welcome home and Merry Christmas to you and the whole family!

Margie December 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

We love you and your mom!
    What a fabulous writer you are, Chickadee!

Lylah December 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Happy holidays, Chickie! I loved your post!

Jenn December 21, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

Hi Chickie!

We’re all glad you’re back in Georgia too. Have a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year filled with fudge, pesky brothers, dog kisses and lots of happiness.

Alicia December 21, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

YAAAAAYYYY Chickie!! Welcome home missy :) It is so wonderful to know that you are putting a smile on your mama’s face. We (the internets) love you and are wonderful writer. :)

Nancy R December 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

***GLITTEREXPLOSION***

We’re baking Rolo-stuffed cookies in celebration. Welcome back to GA, Chickie, and Merry Christmas to Licorice and all his Humans!

Pamela December 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Another Yay! (and my feet are too big, so no shoes for you.)

not supergirl December 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

What a super cool guest blogger! So cool to hear/read your actual voice. I just knew I’d like you. I’m smart that way. I know you are, too.

Korinthia December 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Well that whole post just made me happy. Thank you!

Dottie December 21, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Head went kaboom with joy: rainbows and glitter everywhere. I’m never going to clean it up.

Happy Christmas Chickie & family. You are loved!

liv December 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

merry Christmas, chickie — so glad you’re home. :) :)

CuriousCat December 21, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Kid, you are so like your mother, it ain’t even funny! that’s not true, it’s hilarious!

So glad you’re home; there’s a few people there who missed you terribly.

Go for the dark chocolate peppermint fudge. YOU CAN’T GO WRONG THERE.

FYI…..100 responses to a “first time” post? Un-flipping-heard of!

Have a merry, merry Christmas, Chickie.

mandy December 21, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

So, so glad you are home with your mom, Monkey, Otto, and Licorice. You have been deeply missed – by them and by your fan club.

Sending much live to Casa Mir this holiday season. She has her gift: her baby is home.

Heather December 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Oh, oh! (jumping up and down) Pick me! I wear size 8!

Seriously, so awesome that you are in Georgia. Rooting for you and your family always. Merry Christmas!

Beverly December 21, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Love every word! Welcome home, Chickadee!

Dawn December 21, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Oh sweet girl, I am so happy that you are spending Christmas with your Mama and Monkey and Otto. I wish you a very, very happy visit and all of the joys and successes and lessons that life has to offer. You are special and amazing and adored- so much so that even people who have never met you are on your side. Never forget that.

Crisanne December 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Oh Chickadee! How we have all hoped and prayed you would make it home safely for Christmas. The idea that so many of us, who have never met you nor your mother, could possibly love you is probably a bit odd. But I assure you it is entirely possible. We wish all the best, C. On this day and every day forward. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, being the best self you know how to be, and remember there’s a whole army of people pulling for you.

Eiball December 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Chickie, are you SURE you wrote this? You SOUND just like your mother…certainly enough to really be her kid.

And I wear a size 7, so there! Something on this old body is smaller than a teenage girl’s. Whoopee.

MandaCakes December 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

CHICKADEEEEEEE! *head overflows, container contains*

Julie December 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Welcome home, Chickie!!
    (And now there’s rainbows & glitter & exploded head-bits everywhere. :)

Susan B December 21, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Merry Christmas to you all! So glad Chickadee made it home!

Am I the only one dying to have that dark chocolate peppermint fudge recipe? Because that sounds incredible.

Lindsey P December 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Yay for hearing from Chickadee! I’m so glad that you get to see your Mom and Otto and Monkey!!

KarenP December 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Merry Christmas to the Woulda Coulda Shoulda house! Glad you made it home!

Karen R December 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

Welcome home, Chickadee! I hope you have the best Christmas ever.

Grandma Cheryl December 21, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

So glad you made it home, sweetie and that now a Merry Christmas will be had in the Mir household. Your writing sparkles like the gem you are. Many hugs and kisses your way.

kapgaf December 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Chickadee! You’re home! And you’ve written a post. My head would explode if I were American but being British, I am keeping a stiff upper lip. This of course doesn’t stop my feet from dancing. In France – yes, I know I’m a Brit, but I live in France – they are a size 41 and in Britain they are a size 7 and a half and, after a quick check, this is the same as an American size 8, so we are foot cousins, or something. However, I’m pretty sure that, apart from my red boots (like Doc Martens but not quite as clompy), you would not like any of my shoes and I’m not even sure about the red boots.
    Anyway, have a fabulous Christmas (and the rest of the family too), enjoy being a grand-daughter, a daughter, a step-daughter and a big sister, pet the dog and eat as much fudge and vegetables as you can manage without throwing up (or do it into the same container as the excitement overflow),.

Rita December 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Welcome home Chickie… You sound exactly like my 14 year old daughter, except she has a cat and an excitable younger sister…. my shoes are too big for you and very boring. My head can’t explode from excitement because it is too full of cold virus and all the wonderful things it brings…. I think it would feel better if it did explode!

Merry Christmas!

Heather December 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Rainbows and glitter, indeed! Chickie, you are sweet, and you may also have a career as a writer in your future just like mama :) Or anything else you put your mind to, you smart cookie!

Sheila December 21, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Oh, my. You ARE your mother’s daughter, Chickadee. (Stay away from the apple corers if you know what’s good for you.)

Would love to read more smart, funny updates from your holiday at home. Merry, merry Christmas to you and the whole WCS household!

Erin December 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

So great to have a fun guest post from you, Chickie! I’m so glad that you’re home with your mom, Otto, Monkey, and Licorice–have a wonderful holiday!

(As an aside: methinks we know where your sense of humor and great writing style come from, no?)

Lisa Kay December 21, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

I think you should guest post more often! Because you’re hilarious, just like your mom! Glad you’re home and I hope y’all have a fantabulous Christmas, full of fudge! And lots of other stuff!
    (Wow…could I use more exclamation points?)

Dawn December 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Welcome home Chickadee! If we are all so tickled to hear you so happy, your mother must be about to burst. You certainly have a talent for writing; this was so fun to read! You are amazing and special and so very loved. Enjoy your time in Georgia!

JMH December 21, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Welcome home! You are a very talented writer..I hope you do some more posts. :) Enjoy your holiday with your family

LisaK December 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Welcome home Chickadee! I *cannot* believe how much you sound like your mother :). A very Merry Christmas to you all!

Kyallee December 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

YAY! Welcome home, and may your stay be merry and bright! :)

Sarahndipity December 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

CHICKIE! Am drowning in rainbows and glitter. To echo all the others above, I cannot believe how much you sound like your mother and also how very, very lovely it was to hear from you directly. I am so glad you made it to your mom’s okay. Please have a wonderful Christmas?

Kim in Minnesota December 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

Rainbows and glitter to you all! Merry Christmas!

Lucinda December 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

You rock. Glad you are home.

heidi December 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Chickadee, you obviously get your writing skills from your mom! Thank you for taking the time to write this. It is wonderful. So glad you are Georgia home!

Jeanie December 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Great to hear from you, Chickie. If you really do read your mom’s blog, you know how much she brags about you and loves you. I would say you have her talent for writing, of course with the humor sprinkled around here and there. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and the best new year ever!

Kelly December 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

This post made my day so thanks for that. So glad you’re all together for Christmas. Enjoy every minute!

Headless Mom December 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Welcome home Chicadee! We are (obviously) thrilled that you’re there. Your mama has missed you. Well, I’m sure Otto and Monkey have too, but we hear from her more often than them. Welcome to the blog!

Mir-she has your talent for words. You should let her guest post more often! ;-)

Merriest of Christmases to you all!!

jp December 21, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Chickadee-dee-dee!! I’d let you borrow my footwear, but it is pretty pedestrian and too teensy for you, unless you want to wedge on a size 6! You have a great writing style and just know that all us cyber-stalkers are thrilled you made it home for the holidays.

laura December 21, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

I wondered what the glow in the southern sky was tonight, must be your momma’s heartlight.

Please crank it down a few notches Mir, I need to get some sleep tonight.

Welcome home Chickadee.

Barbara December 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

see now….i can’t tell the difference between her writing and yours. and that’s a huge compliment chickie!

glad you’re home. enjoy!

Julie December 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Chickadee!!! Yay! This made me so happy! Merry Christmas to all of us!!!

I do indeed wear size 8 shoes, but they are primarily Keds, which I think you would find boring. I’m sure your size 8′s are much more fabulous!

Now I’m going to go read your blog post again. :-)

Elizabeth December 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

Happy happy here. Do enjoy yourself!

Jen B December 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Welcome Home, and Merry Christmas, Chickie! You are loved!! <3

Djurdjica December 21, 2012 at 7:50 pm #

Hahahahahah, Chickadee, you’re the best! Have the most fun Christmas holidays ever! With tons of rainbow glitter, excellent food and good times! :)

Marissa December 21, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

This makes me so amazingly happy!!! Chickadee is home and we get to hear how amazing is first hand! Merry Christmas and best wishes for a calm 2013 to the whole WCS family!!

Angie December 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Welcome home to a truly amazing glittery gal. Enjoy the holidays and keep being your awesome self!

Cindy December 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

Beautiful rainbow & glitter!

Chuck December 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Welcome home, Chickadee. Nice writing! Hope you and your family all have a mega super awesome Christmas in Georgia. Your presence will help enable that, I am sure.

Lori N December 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

<<>>

(That’s my impression of the site exploding.)

Welcome back Chickadee — thanks for the update! Have a great holiday!

Lori N December 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Hmm, obviously, I don’t know how to show explosions of RAINBOWS!! and GLITTER!!!…sorry.

Heidi December 21, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

Yay!

Mandy December 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Welcome home Chickadee!! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas… annoying brothers and all!

Emily December 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Chickadee, you are an AMAZING writer! Let us know when you start your own blog, full of tonsil-licking dogs and chatterbox brothers. :) We love you and hope you have a great holiday in GA!

Michelle December 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

Squeeeee! It’s Chickadeeeeeeeee! Ahem, I mean, wow so nice to hear that you’re in Georgia. Have an amazing holiday and know that we would all like to hug you and squeeze you and call you George, but that would be super creepy, plus you might get TOO squished. I think that wonderfully written blog post will work for us instead! Merry Christmas Chickie and family!

Wendy December 21, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

CHICKADEEEE!!!! So happy to see/hear you :). So glad you are home for a bit safe and sound.

NTE December 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Woo Hoo, for sure. Merry, Happy, Hallelujah! Hi Chickadee, I’m so glad you got to be there for the holidays. Be as well as possible, and Happy 2013 :)

Esme December 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Hi Chickadee!

I think it was a great Idea that you “guest started” on your mom’s blog! You are pretty famous around here and the love your mom has for you can be felt almost through the monitor!

Enjoy the fudge and family time!

Esme

Beth in IA December 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

Welcome home, Chickadee, from another member of your fan club! And great job with the guest post – I haven’t read all of the comments but I’m certain I’m not the first to point out that you write a leeeetle teeeeeeeny tiny bit like your mama? Merry Christmas to Mir, Otto, Monkey and your whole family. Enjoy!!

The Other Laura December 21, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

What a wonderfully funny post! Merry Christmas, Chickadee!

Nia December 22, 2012 at 1:22 am #

Such a nice surprise, Chickadee! Your post was very entertaining. Glad to hear you made it home safely. I hope this means the last days of 2012 can make up for the rest of it :)
    P.S. I am now craving fudge. Any chance your mom will post the recipe?

amy December 22, 2012 at 1:44 am #

Welcome Chickadee! You are upstaging your mother, I think you should know that (not in a bad way!! haha!). But we’ll soak it up like a sponge, keep it coming! Looking forward to hearing more from you. I’m glad you found the right gate and are being spoiled and loved! Hugs to you and your family, and a very Merry Christmas to all of you :)

Kristine N December 22, 2012 at 7:16 am #

Welcome Home Chickadee!!!

Kathleen December 22, 2012 at 8:14 am #

Welcome home and Merry Christmas, Chickadee!!

brigitte December 22, 2012 at 8:43 am #

Just back from wipign up all my exploded brains . . . seeing yur blossomig writing talent, you will have to let us know when your first novel comes out!

brigitte December 22, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Stupid uncooperative keyboard .. .

Carol December 22, 2012 at 8:50 am #

This post makes my Christmas merry and bright! You are amazing, Chickadee!

Cindy December 22, 2012 at 9:38 am #

This was the boom sauce of awesomeness post. You have a great future in entertaining the masses via the interwebs, clearly.

addy December 22, 2012 at 9:42 am #

Dude – seriously Glitterfied all up in har……
    No brain issues though – they on vacay!
    So glad you made it to the family for the holidays. So glad there is fudge – where’s mine BTW?
    Enjoy little brothers and doggie tonsillectomies and hugs and more hugs and COFFEE!! LOTS AND LOTS OF COFFEE!!
    Happy Holidays to the kingdom of Mir!

Catherine December 22, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Just YAY!!!!!!!

Karen December 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Welcome home! Chickadee fan #166!!

AnotherJenn December 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Wow, it suddenly got really dusty in here… Hi Chickadee. I’m so glad you made it home for Christmas, and it is really awesome to ‘hear’ your voice.

Alyce December 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Welcome home, Chickadee! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas. The blog misses and loves you very much.

Janet December 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Love it! Glad you are home!

Katie in CA December 22, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Yay for Chickie! Glad you made it home safe. Merry Christmas, and those are some awesome shoes!

Jen December 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

What a great post! Have a great time with your family and your socks. I would TOTALLY let you borrow my size 8s, even if it meant the dog might eat them!

Demery December 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Merry Christmas, Chickadee! Sending love and wished for all good things in the New Year!

Demery December 22, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

*wishes

Chris December 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Welcome home Chickadee. You certainly have a similar talent to your mother’s and I am super excited you took the time to post for us. We have three size 8′s here in NY, me (not any interesting shoes), my 14 year old Beanie (cool shoes) and my 12 year old Moo (also very cool shoes). Happy to let you borrow if you are ever up in NY.

Hope you have a great holiday!!!!

Amy-Go December 23, 2012 at 12:04 am #

I saw The Hobbit today. This post was better.

In geek speak, that’s a colossal compliment. Thanks for making my day! Merry Christmas to all!

Em December 23, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Yay! A Chickadee post! Your mom is one of my very favorite writers and I’m not going to lie – your writing resembles her a lot! You didn’t mention where your mom was so I am going to assume she is off on a mountaintop shouting about you being home. Merry Christmas, kiddo!

Valerie December 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

You just HAVE to love a kid that can publicly admit she loves her brother. You are really something special kiddo! Thanks for the happy smiles and enjoy some happy days too!

Susie December 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

In case you ever wondered, you are pretty well loved, missy. Glad to see a Chick column. Glad to see a Mir happy dance. Hugs to you both, and the menfolk too!

Stimey December 23, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Chickadee, you are AWESOME. You made me laaauuugghhhh.

Peg December 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Darn it! You may me spill some tears! Welcome home!

Liza December 23, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

181 comments??? Your mom might be jealous about your popularity! :)

Frank December 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

I consider your mom one of the better writer / storytellers out there. It would appear you have that same talent… you should consider that high praise. Use that talent… for yourself if not for anyone else.

Jen December 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Holy. Heck.
    My dear Chickadee, you have made my (and many others’) week. :) You have a rare talent as a young writer, and I hope you grab it with both hands and never let go. Have a very Merry Christmas. :)

Georgia December 24, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Chickadee – You are completely charming and it’s made my day to read your post! Lots of internet love to you and your whole family. Enjoy it all!!

Lori in MN December 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Wow. And ditto to ALL OF THE ABOVE! And, because it can never happen enough, go hug your family AGAIN! And eat fudge. And leave the glitter all over the place. You really can’t clean it anyway, I’ve tried. Sending so much love from all of us. And a special thanks for the Draw Something I have been loving and playing with my own daughter and mom.

Varda (SquashedMom) December 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Ok weighing in as comment number 186 here: ditto what everyone above me has said – assuming they are all telling you how wonderful you are & welcoming you home (I didn’t get a chance to read then all, jeez 185 is a LOT!)

I am unfortunately a Bigfoot (size 10) and therefore cannot share fabulous shoes with you. I really enjoyed reading this – its clear you have inherited your mother’s talent with words, though obviously your own unique & wonderful voice.

Enjoy your holidays and take over your mon’s blog again soon, ok?

Abbeyviolet December 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Hooray! What a very Merry Christmas!

tammy December 25, 2012 at 11:01 am #

:)Welcome home Chickie! You’ve made your momma (and The Interwebs) very happy.

Kim December 26, 2012 at 12:23 am #

Welcome home Chickadee! Love to all of you this Christmas ~ and I have to agree with everyone above – keep writing!

JennyA December 26, 2012 at 9:44 am #

AAAAA, this is what I get for not indulging in MY deep personal interest in the internet for a few days!

Merry Christmas, Chickadee!!!

Much love to you and your family!

And you can borrow my shoes as long as you share some of that fudge.

Heather December 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Welcome home! Great post! You are a fun and great writer! You have your own style with your mom’s influence built in!

Hope you have a great break in GA!

Chaik December 27, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

You, like your mother, are amazing. I should know, your mother was amazing me 20 years ago…

Brightest blessings to you, my dear. You will come out the other side of this sh*tstorm smelling like the Gods. (Mir, please let her read this! I blocked out a letter so you’d NEVER know what that word is!)

Cel December 29, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Chickie Chickie Chickie… so lovely to see you – despite the dripping brain matter on the freshly cleaned carpeting. So 193 replies to your lovely post. Way to go girl…

btw… chocolate has more caffine than coffee…

and two… Mama Mir did let you know you have to reply with a personal note to each response to your post… right?

Merry Christmas girl:)

Lily January 2, 2013 at 10:30 am #

Chickadee! I loved reading your post! Let me know if there’s a fan club I can sign up for. In the meantime, I wish you health and all the happiness that life can offer.

J from Ireland January 7, 2013 at 4:45 am #

Oh I am late, so very late. Chickadee, its lovely to hear your voice and your mother is so right, WE LOVE YOU and really care about you. I actually had a dream once that I was babysitting you and your brother, weird right?
    I wish you a very happy new year and hope 2013 is kind to you.
    ps I think you have a real talent at this blogging thing.