I guess this makes it official

I’m pretty sure that the most obnoxious thing ever said to me about my blog was not a criticism of my parenting or some sort of personal indictment (though—let’s be clear—I’ve gotten plenty of those, too), but a dismissive, “Well, blogging’s just a fad, and it’ll pass, so enjoy it while it lasts.”

This was said to me by someone who’s always regarded my writing as a useless little hobby.

Well, I’ve been enjoying the spoils of this silly little fad for over four years, now, and I’d be hard-pressed to tell you the greatest part about it. Because, clearly, the greatest part is getting to do what I love every day. And clearly the greatest part is having a chronicle of my kids’ lives that they’ll be able to refer back to when I’m old and senile and need them to change my diapers. And obviously the greatest part is that I took a hobby started at one of the lowest points of my life and leveraged it into a career that now helps support my family.

All of that would be enough for me, frankly. I’ve been blessed a hundred times over from this site, in ways I never thought possible. I’ve met some of my dearest friends here. I’ve endured some of my greatest challenges by gritting my teeth and writing through them. I’ve loved being able to have a place where I can celebrate how wonderfully my life has turned out and make fun of myself when I’m having trouble seeing that. It’s all good.

But this is EVEN BETTER:

Sleep is for the WeakI’m sure you’ve read about this everywhere, already (sorry, I was busy writing a love letter, yesterday), but in case you haven’t, this here is an anthology coming out this fall from Chicago Review Press. My writing is in it. In fact, my blog is on the cover, there, which thrills me in a way I cannot explain. There’s a couple dozen contributors involved and I am here to tell you that EVERY SINGLE ONE has written something spectacular.

And then there’s our editor, Rita. I have never seen anyone work harder for something than Rita did to make this book a reality. You can read the whole story on her blog, but what that DOESN’T say is that Rita envisioned this project from start to finish and then kept going against all odds (and largely on her own) until it happened. We are all deeply indebted to her. Me, I gave her permission to use a few of my favorite blog entries. Not hard, you know? She did the hard work, and she deserves the kudos.

Thank you, Rita, for making it possible for me to say, “Yeah, well, I’m sure THE BOOK I’M PUBLISHED IN is just a fad, too.” (Eden was right—writing well really IS the best revenge.)

Should you wish to pick up a copy or twelve of Sleep is for the Weak, you can pre-order it at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or from your local indie book shop through BookSense.

Want your copy signed? Sure thing, Pretty! Kristen Chase and I will be at the Decatur Book Festival at the end of August, and I’ll be at the Athens Borders on Alps Road on September 21st, too. Yeah, I know it’s a long way away. I’ll remind you again. You know, if the fad is still going on, I mean.

81 Responses to “I guess this makes it official”

ellbee May 16, 2008 at 8:31 am #

Hooray! I read about this over at Amalah and was thrilled to see the names of two of my favorite blogs on the cover. The list of books I MUST buy is getting out of control! Congratulations!

Otto May 16, 2008 at 8:34 am #

I have to wait until Sept. 21 to get a signed copy?

Bah. Stupid dead tree industry …

-otto

Leandra May 16, 2008 at 8:37 am #

Hey! I’m going to be at that Festival too! Though I hope I will see you before then!! :)

Congrats on the book! That is awesome. For a fad.

Bakerina May 16, 2008 at 8:40 am #

Oh, outstanding. You know I’m all like a proud auntie here, right?

Honey, I’m so thrilled for you. Verily, I’m bursting. :)

Jenny May 16, 2008 at 8:43 am #

WOOOO!

That’s worth risking my life on I-85!

Crisanne May 16, 2008 at 8:46 am #

So exciting! Wow, to be published. That’s really something. Way to go!

Mom24 May 16, 2008 at 8:50 am #

I can guess who the special person is who said that. Congrats! I can’t wait to read it. Have a terrific weekend.

Deva May 16, 2008 at 8:54 am #

dude, could we maybe mail you our copies and get them signed thta way? I live in Ohio… and I can’t make it to Georgia this year :(

Marvo May 16, 2008 at 8:55 am #

Congrats on being published. I wish I could be in a book. Instead I’m in publications that have my picture next to a 1-900 phone number and the words “For a good time call…”

Heather May 16, 2008 at 8:59 am #

Have the book signing on a game weekend and I will bring my copy to be signed. The only time we get to Athens anymore is for games. It is a bit of a hike from Indiana otherwise.

Poppy Buxom May 16, 2008 at 9:05 am #

I am so happy for you and Susan Wagner that I’m going to go around to all those other blogs and congratulate those bloggers, too. My new motto is: Share the bloggy love! Buy the bloggy books!

RuthWells May 16, 2008 at 9:09 am #

Far freaking out. Congratulations!

StephLove May 16, 2008 at 9:16 am #

Many congratulations! It couldn’t happen to a better blogger. (And I hope the blogging trend lasts long enough for you to read my comment. Y’ know, it could end any second now.)

Kirsetin May 16, 2008 at 9:18 am #

Congratulations. Nothing like seeing your work in print. And a book no less, not a, you know, “fad” like this blog of yours… So glad for you – go OUT for dinner.

Jessica @ A Bushel and a Peck May 16, 2008 at 9:18 am #

So very cool. I can’t wait to read it!

Tammy May 16, 2008 at 9:23 am #

Congrats Pretty Mir! I too would love a signed copy, but the MN-GA commute is just a tad out of reach right now. Gas prices, ya know. Never fear, I will cherish my un-signed copy just as much. ;)

bellevelma May 16, 2008 at 9:44 am #

Thank God I just bought a new bookcase!

Motherhood Uncensored May 16, 2008 at 9:46 am #

I pre-ordered my copy last night. Can’t wait for the festival so you can tell me who everyone else is. :)

E May 16, 2008 at 9:49 am #

WooHoo! Congrats!

Carolyn May 16, 2008 at 9:50 am #

Amen sista. Love the blogging, love the writing, love the chronicle for my kids to weep over someday. Insert indignant high pitched voice here: I can’t believe my mom wrote that down! But maybe it’s not the blogging that’s the fad… maybe it’s the computers. Let your mind ponder THAT one.

Not really, I’m just being snapish.

Spice May 16, 2008 at 9:53 am #

Oh wow, that is too cool! Congrats and I definitely have to get it!

All Adither May 16, 2008 at 9:53 am #

Books. They’re such whims. ;)

Angie

Sue May 16, 2008 at 10:00 am #

Though I’m pretty sure this expression is over, “YOU GO GIRL!!!!!” That is truly awesome.

Kathy May 16, 2008 at 10:01 am #

I’ll see you at the Decatur Book festival – I will be there stalking – ah – listening to the great children’s books authors they have there every year! it really is a FUN weekend!!!

carmie May 16, 2008 at 10:06 am #

Bah! Blogging isn’t just a fad…I’ve been reading them since 1996, practically an eon in internet time. Congrats on the book! I look forward to reading it.

Laura May 16, 2008 at 10:11 am #

Wonderful! Congratulations – now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go get me one of those t shirts!

Headless Mom May 16, 2008 at 10:12 am #

Otto is priceless.

And I can’t wait for my copy!

Im No Clair May 16, 2008 at 10:14 am #

Congratulations to you Mir, all the bloggers and especially Rita. I can only imagine how her heart burst with pride and joy when she saw the finished product.

Stephanie Chance May 16, 2008 at 10:16 am #

That’s awesome! Congrats!

Karen May 16, 2008 at 10:17 am #

I’be been blogging quietly to a small group since ’03 but after finding and reading blogs like yours and Kristen’s I’m going mainstream. Ok so maybe 10 more people will read my blog then they do today but just the opportunity to meet so many great people with the same thoughts is exciting. If anything can be said about your blog and other Mom blogs out there is you guys are inspirational to other women.

Serenity May 16, 2008 at 10:18 am #

Great post. I’m glad it’s not just a fad – I just got started in August of last year. I need help figuring out where to learn how to customize my design (if you have any tips), but the writing I love. People don’t realize that blogs are not just a personal diary – they are often written by disciplined writers. I think a lot of us write even when we don’t feel like it, because we hope someone else might benefit from the words we use to capture life. Thanks for sticking with it and being such an inspiration.

dorothy May 16, 2008 at 10:22 am #

You already know how much your support has meant to me, Mir. Thanks for everything.

the planet of janet May 16, 2008 at 10:24 am #

shoot. you’re too far away for me to get a signed one.

i would have put it on the shelf next to my signed copy of “the girl who stopped swimming” …

Cheryl May 16, 2008 at 10:36 am #

That’s so great! With all that those of you in the book have done for blogging, you deserve an opportunity like this.

Liza May 16, 2008 at 10:40 am #

I’ll come see you guys at the Decatur Book Festival! (The link didn’t work — I think there’s an extra quotation mark at the end.)

I’ll be the gargantuanly pregnant one lumbering after the 2 year old. Of course, that assumes that the little miss doesn’t come early. Then all bets are off.

Lucinda May 16, 2008 at 10:48 am #

Congratulations! I admire all the work you put into this “fad” of yours. What you do is not something just anyone can do and you have a lot to be proud of. I’m looking forward to reading the book.

Burgh Baby May 16, 2008 at 10:57 am #

You being awesome just doesn’t seem to be much of a fad. It’s more like a lifestyle. Congratulations!

Shalet May 16, 2008 at 11:00 am #

I’m pretty sure this whole book thing is just a fad, you know, they’ve only been around for what, thousands of years? Congratulations to you!

themuttprincess May 16, 2008 at 11:12 am #

Congrats!

Glad you got “revenge”!!!

Tink May 16, 2008 at 11:13 am #

When you click the link for the Decatur Book Festival and you get “Not Found” look in the address bar (at the top of the page). When you see “%22” at the end of the line, remove it and hit the Return or Enter keys and you will get to where you want to be.

And for the pretty Mir — you’ve done it again! Much love and congratulations. :)

Tootsie Farklepants May 16, 2008 at 11:13 am #

Holy cow!!! I’m beyond excited for you!! Screw the naysayers! It’s easy to mock that which they don’t understand. You’re awesome!

Congratulations!

Genevieve May 16, 2008 at 11:14 am #

Fantastic! I am pre-ordering now. Take some bows, Mir!

The Other Leanne May 16, 2008 at 11:43 am #

?writing is a fad? all those books, newspaper columns, “Diary of Anne Frank” are some passing societal phase?
    Congratulations on being printed and bound. :)

Holly May 16, 2008 at 11:44 am #

How wonderful and truely exciting! Congratulations!

jennielynn May 16, 2008 at 11:44 am #

I will be buying two copies. One for myself and one to give away on my blog. Because, frankly, my dear, you rock. You’ll need to imagine me at my keyboard, hands raised and arranged in the “rock on” configuration, my tongue stuck out in my very best Gene Simmons impersonation. On second thought, don’t. It isn’t very pretty.

You still rock.

Lisa- Domestic Accident May 16, 2008 at 12:04 pm #

Congratulations! I will definitely be purchasing this.

Rebecca May 16, 2008 at 12:12 pm #

Congratulations! I’ll make sure and buy the book. I know I’ll love it!

Sue May 16, 2008 at 12:41 pm #

Congratulations!! I already have it in my shopping cart… I am impatiently waiting for it to be released. You all ROCK!

Megan May 16, 2008 at 12:42 pm #

Congratulations! It’s officially-official with sprinkles on now – you get to be a capital W writer and give a good poke in the eye to anyone who says, “well, but just on the internet.” Judgy mcJudgepants types need poking now and then.

Betsy May 16, 2008 at 1:19 pm #

Congrats on the book!

And, uh Mir? Did you ever tell us if your recent illness was, in fact, a virus? Glad to see you’ve survived it!

Vane May 16, 2008 at 1:30 pm #

:) awesome!! Congratulations!!

Now, I just have to figure out how to get my copy over here …

Sheila May 16, 2008 at 1:41 pm #

I think a quote I overheard my four year old say to herself while drawing the other day while is in order here:

“Now THAT is MARVELOUS work!”

Congratulations!

Sara May 16, 2008 at 1:50 pm #

Wow! Wowee, even! Good for you. I knew I was saving my bookstore giftcard from Christmas for a good reason.

mimipz5wjj May 16, 2008 at 1:54 pm #

Congratulations to all of you! That’s fantastic!

kim May 16, 2008 at 2:02 pm #

Congratulations

Average Jane May 16, 2008 at 2:42 pm #

Congratulations! I am SO looking forward to reading it.

Melissa May 16, 2008 at 2:49 pm #

Wonderful news!

el-e-e May 16, 2008 at 3:10 pm #

Oh, hooray! The Decatur Book Festival is now on my calendar! Can’t wait!

congratulations, and you all deserve such success!

Lulu May 16, 2008 at 4:34 pm #

Yay for you and the whole bloggy bookteam!Congratulations!

Also sort of a revenge of the mommybloggers, yes?!

Dani May 16, 2008 at 5:30 pm #

* Reading level: Ages 9-12

WTF??? You may want to talk to the Amazonians about that, LOL!

I am so happy for you (and the other gals) that I could just bust. How on Earth did you keep this under wraps until now?!

Congratulations, dear. You’ve been validated! Screw the jealous bubble-poppers! :)

sryan May 16, 2008 at 5:34 pm #

What do you think of the mommy book, (novel) that just came out this month called “The Book of Mom” by Taylor Wilshire? I saw the author on our local morning TV show and liked her idea of blending a novel with self-help ideas. Her book is about a mom that crashes and burns out and loses her self-identity and passions and how she gets it back with the help of her best friend, a therapist and self-help ideas. It’s suppose to be really funnny. Have you read it?

The Other Other Dawn May 16, 2008 at 5:36 pm #

Congratulations!

I wouldn’t get too excited, though. I’m sure these ‘book things’ are just a phase… I mean, they’re heavy, they’re bulky. Who’d want ’em?

If living well is the best revenge , you’re getting some excellent revenge right about now.

Go, Mir!

HRH May 16, 2008 at 6:55 pm #

Congrats. Way to be trendy.

Jamie AZ May 16, 2008 at 7:58 pm #

Yeah! Congratulations!!!

JJrambleson May 16, 2008 at 9:35 pm #

Dammit. Here I was composing a letter to “Motherhood Uncensored” with questions about “Mommy Blogging”, and then I hit her link to you and find out that both of you were on TV recently.

Understandably, I’m sure you’re both sick to death of all the whining from those of us who are interested in doing what you do.

Sigh…[deletes her draft to Kristen]

I’ve been blogging for a couple years in the political arena and just recently started a blog that covers more personal aspects of my life…a venting venue of sorts. I freaked when, just yesterday, I ran across this whole network of “Mommy bloggers”. How fun!!

Ah well…I’ll start by signing up with The Mom Blogs and go from there.

Great blog by the way!!! All the best…

Jill May 17, 2008 at 1:52 am #

Congratulations! That’s so cool!!!

Brigitte May 17, 2008 at 7:51 am #

Just a passing fad . . like that whole “rock” music thing!

Meg May 17, 2008 at 8:32 am #

My Congrats!!! You guys need to throw a Big Bloggy Party and SOON…seeing how this is a fad, and all.

threeundertwo May 17, 2008 at 12:19 pm #

Congratulations. I’m a new blogger and it’s a thrill to step through the door to this whole mommy-blogging world. Who knew? I’ll buy your book as a memento of this fad before it dies.

dadshouse May 17, 2008 at 1:50 pm #

I don’t think blogging’s a fad – it’s a new media. It’s great fun. As a single dad blogging about dating and parenting, I’m getting a message out that dads are capable at running a household solo, and that modern dating is crazy beyond belief. I’m connecting with people who have similar experiences, or just want to voyeuristically watch.

Heather C. May 17, 2008 at 2:52 pm #

Congratulations! That is awesome!!

Please have a virtual signing! I’ll buy up several copies! (Well, I’ll buy them anyways, but I need a signed copy for my signed copy shelf!)

Ali B. May 17, 2008 at 4:03 pm #

Congratulations on the book, and on the anniversary, and on STICKIN IT TO those who dismiss your work. Muggles, they are.

J from Ireland May 17, 2008 at 5:24 pm #

Congratulations, I’m delighted for you. I can’t believe how happy I am ,for you and the other writers of my favourite blogs :)

becky May 18, 2008 at 3:09 am #

well deserved. can’t wait to see it.

can i be you when i grow up?

Amy@UWM May 18, 2008 at 3:45 pm #

Congrats on the book. I keep telling my co-workers that this blogging thing — especially the mommy blogging thing — isn’t just a fad. I’ve been forwarding them all your press. Now a book! You guys are rock stars of the mommy world!

wendymoss May 18, 2008 at 4:28 pm #

Sleep is for the Week sounds good–haven’t read it yet. But one of your comments asked about, ‘The book of mom’ by Taylor Wilshire. I read that book and couldn’t put it down. You really should check it out, it’s funny and has good advice for moms. I don’t see the value in self-help tools and meditation but did see the value in that book. I am going to read her first book, have you read that?

Heather G. May 18, 2008 at 7:31 pm #

Words cannot express how happy I am for you Mir! How about a book signing here in old NH?

mommytherobot May 18, 2008 at 7:43 pm #

because i was watching that Today segment, I got to see this blog. it must be fate! just kidding. no, i loved that segment. kinda validating to be recognized. although im sure some one in the back of room was snickering, “mom blogs- what will they think of next? a woman president?”

Aimee May 21, 2008 at 10:30 am #

Yay, YOU! That is too wonderful — and yes, writing well is the best revenge.

Okay, off to pre-order the book….

punchanella May 27, 2008 at 11:48 am #

pfft. i hope it’s not a fad. i waste too much time for it to be a fad. if blogging was like stirrup pants or something, that would be horrible.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. okay. I’m back. I think. « Pragmatic Compendium - May 18, 2008

[…] I LOVE the “momku” written by Jesus and Dark Chocolate! I think I need a grown-up slumber party like Domestic Accident. I definitely need to find out what Alyson is talking about. What is this “PedEgg” thing she’s talking about? And Rebekah? I’m right there with you when you say, “I’ve ‘met’ many people through blogging who I really wish I could live next door to and sit on the front porch with a cup of tea and chat.” And a big thanks to Mir for giving me a heads up on the next book I want: “Sleep is for the Weak.” And now Jane at What about Mom? has given yet another nudge to read “Atlas Shrugged” boost since I read that Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer had “Atlas Shrugged” on her reading list this year – but now it’s not on her list anymore. hmmm. I LOVE the photographs Chris posts over at Notes from the Trenches. Really, make the time to look. Wonderful! Also, check out the “Dadsense” song from Anita Renfroe over at Mommy Needs Coffee. It’s her follow-up to the Mom Overture I posted a while back. […]