She had a hand in it

Yesterday I cooked and worked and cooked and worked and cooked some more and worked some more and told my daughter that if she behaved she could help me with the pies and that if she didn’t, I would chop her up and put her IN the pies.

It was mixed bag of a day—rather more frenetic that I would’ve liked, plus it’s hard to behave when you’re off school and everyone is busy ignoring you in favor of preparing dinner for people you don’t even KNOW, MOM—but in the end, we more or less did both.

I hope our guests like pie.

I’ve never made a pie with a lattice top before, mostly because—like baking bread, before I started doing it—for some reason I believed it would be too difficult for my wee, delicate little mind. It really isn’t.

Mmmm... cherry pie

(Of course, the filling of that pie came from cans, because that’s what my children like, and I am a sucker.)

Then, of course, we had to have pumpkin pie, and here I made good on my threat.

Gobble, gobble! Eat my pumpkin pie!

I think Chickadee will still live a productive life with only one hand, and after all, it WAS in the name of extreme cuteness that she gave it up.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

32 Responses to “She had a hand in it”

Burgh Baby's Mom November 22, 2007 at 9:13 am #

I hope Chickadee is left-handed because re-learning to write would not be the most fun a person can have.

Happy Turkey day, Mir, Otto, and Mirspawn!

Flea November 22, 2007 at 9:14 am #

It certainly is a cute hand, and occupational therapy will get her through the rough patches. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, lovely Mir!

Jill November 22, 2007 at 9:25 am #

Happy Thanksgiving! I always thought lattice top pies would be too hard too, so I’ve never tried making one. Maybe now I will!

Heather November 22, 2007 at 9:34 am #

I love your little turkey pie topper! That’s so clever. I’ve never actually attempted to make a pie completely from scratch at all, so I’m quite intimidated, but I think that I will try this year. (not for Thanksgiving, mine was in October anyhow. But for Just Because.)
    Happy Thanksgiving, my American friend! ;-)

FENICLE November 22, 2007 at 9:47 am #

Now that is a cool looking pie!

Lisa November 22, 2007 at 9:56 am #

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Cute pies! I love the turkey hand topper – what a great idea!

Kim November 22, 2007 at 10:00 am #

Cute pies and the lattice top looks lovely!!! I’m sure Chickadee will adjust well. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Andrea November 22, 2007 at 10:01 am #

Yes, pies from scratch intimidate me too! That turkey hand topper is AWESOME and quite an inspiration though. :) Great job, Chickadee (and mom).

All Adither November 22, 2007 at 10:31 am #

Impressive. Did you make the crust from scratch? That’s the part I abhor. But otherwise I think pies are great fun.

Mrs.A November 22, 2007 at 10:40 am #

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

(It seemed like the perfect time to delurk, for some reason — maybe those awesome-looking pies are what did it)!

That and the wonderful MRI post that I still can’t seem to stop laughting over! :)

Fold My Laundry Please November 22, 2007 at 10:52 am #

Happy Thanksgiving! That turkey is so cute and your lattice work is beeeyootiful! Have a good one!

Kimberly November 22, 2007 at 10:55 am #

That is adorable. Makes me wish it were more than just a boring old Thursday here!

Karen November 22, 2007 at 11:11 am #

Wonderful lattice pie….and I love the pumpkin ‘turkry’ pie….so cute! Have a wonderful day.

Contrary November 22, 2007 at 11:12 am #

My poor bare little store bought pumpkin pie is weeping at it’s nakedness.

Don’t cry, little pie.

Cool artwork Mir!

Kimmie November 22, 2007 at 11:20 am #

Beautiful pies!!!!!!!!

Hope the people you “don’t even know” enjoy their Thanksgiving at your home!!!!

Ashlee November 22, 2007 at 11:22 am #

Awesome! I am so stealing that idea!! Thanks for the secret to cast iron corn bread as well:)

shannon in oregon November 22, 2007 at 11:23 am #

three kinds of pie in our house!

the lattice on yours is perfect. i just do crumb topping because…well, i adore crumb topping.

man, is it time for pie yet?!?!?! i got a shoo fly pie singing its siren song in the kitchen…blasted pie!

Marissa November 22, 2007 at 11:50 am #

I wish I saw this last night before I made my pies!!!!!!!!!!!! We are DEFINITELY doing that next year, I love the kids hand as a turkey.

elizabeth November 22, 2007 at 12:46 pm #

love the pies. never thought to put a topper on a pumpkin pie but you did beautifully.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

D November 22, 2007 at 1:24 pm #

Lattice is pretty easy, ain’t it? Though your strips look nearly perfect [envy]. Have a great holiday – and enjoy the pies – they photos look great. :-)

The Other Leanne November 22, 2007 at 1:32 pm #

mmmmmmm, pie…..!
    Be sure to thank Miss Chickadee for lending a hand with the pie.
    (Sometimes I just crack me up!)
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Chuck November 22, 2007 at 2:02 pm #

Cool pies. I’m leaving the cooking to my sister, and bringing some rolls.

Laura November 22, 2007 at 3:23 pm #

How freakin’ cute is THAT???? Now I’m bummed my pies are already done because I have to wait until next year to do embellish my pumpkin pie with a hand turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving!

amy November 22, 2007 at 4:49 pm #

Too cute… kinda gross that she’s going to eat her hand tho…

Happy Thanksgiving!

kidzmama November 22, 2007 at 10:06 pm #

The pies are picture perfect. I hope your unkown guests loved them too!

I’m sure by now they’re all gone. Good thing you took pictures to prove they existed.

Enjoy having the kids home again tomorrow!

Daisy November 22, 2007 at 10:56 pm #

Cute! I am so knocked-out tired by the time the pie comes I don’t think I’d even notice the adorable handprint. I hope you displayed it ahead of time for bragging rights.

Cele November 23, 2007 at 1:38 am #

It’s the best type of Thanksgiving. Happy.

David November 23, 2007 at 8:55 am #

Lovely work, Mir (and Chickadee). When I make a pie, I do just the opposite: home-made filling, store-bought crust. I used to make the crust too, but I’ve gotten kind of lazy in my middle age. Latice-work tops are indeed classy! Nice touch with that hand-jivin’ turkey, too. ;-)

MomCat November 23, 2007 at 10:44 am #

Pie R not square! Pie R very cute!

Aimee November 23, 2007 at 10:48 am #

Okay, how cute is that hand? I *love* it!

Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Katrina Stonoff November 23, 2007 at 2:58 pm #

Look, at that. Your pies look fabulous!

mama speak November 25, 2007 at 2:56 am #

OMG!!! I lurve you turkey/hand topper & I am so stealing that idea!!! (Don’t worry I’ll give you credit. ;-)

Funny thing, I never knew you could BUY pie crust already made until I was in college!!! Pies, in my family, are kinda a big deal. They take the place of the B-day cake many times during the year and they are only entrusted to be made by a select few (and even among them, they each have their specialties). So, I never knew they had such marvelous things as pre-made crust or pie filling until I had moved out of the house. So modern this new world order of ours…