It’s Love Thursday, and lately I’ve felt like Thursday leaves me anxious about finding JUST THE RIGHT THING that is, you know, PROFOUND ENOUGH to pass muster.
Which is silly, of course, both because if profundity is the measuring stick by which I’m going to take stock of my work, um, ACK, and also because that’s the thing about love—it doesn’t have to be profound. Sometimes it just is. Sometimes it’s everyday, plain, and perfectly simple.
So rather than a long story or Yet Another Picture Of My Dog (okay, some of you tend to enjoy that, but it does kind of feel like cheating, sometimes, because who doesn’t love a sweet little dog?), today I thought I’d celebrate Thursday with some of the simplest things that make me feel most happy, and fill me with love.
If you’re looking for deep, today, you should probably move on. Just sayin’.
1) When the dog has a dream about chasing a squirrel, and her legs twitch and she huffs out airy little dream-barks.
2) The birds that squabble in the tree right outside my office window. They remind me of the kids.
3) Wearing my great-grandmother’s ring.
4) Fuzzy slippers.
5) The grungy, ugly, incredibly warm fleece I wear around the house during all but the hottest months of the year.
6) Taking my first sip of coffee in the morning before anyone else is up.
7) Slowly sinking into a bath so hot that it’s almost—but not quite—unbearable. Delicious.
8) When Monkey does the full-body-scale during a hug. I am going to be so sad when he’s too big to do that anymore.
9) When Chickadee begs me to come lay down with her at bedtime or when I’ve woken her in the morning.
10) The smell of grass. Even though I’m allergic. Because it’s the scent of growth.
11) The smell of bread baking. Even though I can’t eat it anymore. Because it’s something I make for the people I love best.
12) The nights Otto and I end up having long discussions about matters large and small, instead of watching TV or working.
13) How my father often opens a phone call with, “Is this the party to whom I am speaking?” Makes me laugh every time.
14) Fresh roasted asparagus.
15a) Especially when made by my husband.
15b) Especially now that we’ve discovered that Licorice looooves it.
15c) Especially with real butter. Shhhh, do not tell.
Happy Love Thursday. I hope your personal bowl of little delights is always overflowing, always refilling.