… we all scream for ICE CREAM!
What can I say? Summer’s here. Tis the season. Tonight I found myself eating ice cream with friends, and reflecting on the stages of my life as displayed in my choice of frozen dairy confection.
I’m deep that way, you know.
Tonight’s flavor was Sandwich Cookie Snowstorm, I believe, which was not bad. It wasn’t quite as good as the flavor I REALLY wanted, which was Ice Cream Sandwich (someone used to make that as a flavor in a half-gallon, but I haven’t been able to find it in ages; I think it was Edy’s), but it did the job.
As always, join in and share your proclivities. I’m deep and voyeuristic, apparently.
* We ate at Friendly’s a fair amount when I was a kid, and they had the ice cream flavors up on the board. I was very pleased with myself the day I read off “Mocha Chip” and asked my parents what it tasted like. Unfortunately, I pronounced it “mah-cha chip” and I was mercilessly teased because of this for YEARS. Of course it became my signature flavor, and I ordered it (with correct pronounciation!) without variance for a very long time.
* My only break from “mah-cha chip” was when we would hit the 31 Flavors at the mall. There, it HAD to be the bubble gum ice cream. It was so messy and laborious to extract the gum pieces and lay them on a napkin while eating the ice cream, but OH the reward of finishing the cone and shoving all forty-six pieces of gum in my mouth at once! That ice cream (or maybe it was the mega-mouthful of gum) gave me a headache every single time I ate it. And I kept on ordering it.
* As I grew older, I became a purist. Coffee ice cream was simple, seemed grown-up (although I really am hooked on the taste of coffee, and I think it’s genetic because Chickadee already loves coffee ice cream), and was available everywhere. It’s still one of my favorites.
* I waitressed at a diner one summer when I was in college, the 7-3 shift. On good tip days I would stop at TCBY on my way home and get a cup of white chocolate mousse and raspberry twist frozen yogurt. It was about 95 degrees in my apartment most of that summer, so good tip days made me verrrrrry happy.
* During what we shall fondly refer to as the “killer PMS years,” I fell in love with two men: Ben and Jerry. Coffee Heath Bar was my drug of choice until they came out with Chubby Hubby. Then I fell into a fat-and-sugar coma and subsequently died, but I didn’t care.
* Since my divorce I’ve become a wild and crazy wanton woman, sampling whatever ice cream catches my fancy. I know, I’ve become loose. I’m sowing my wild oats. My latest love: black raspberry chocolate chip, especially if it’s this one local brand which is so smooth it’s like eating silk. If silk tasted like raspberries and chocolate. Actually, I’ve never eaten silk, so I’m going to shut up now. It’s good. And smooth. The end.