Please send oxygen

Greetings from the beautiful Rocky Mountains, where my family is gasping for breath, as one does on vacation in a place where there is a shortage of air. I was not informed that we’d be spending the first few days of our vacation with the equivalent of terrible hangovers, or I certainly would’ve had a lot more to drink so at least it would’ve felt productive having such an intense headache.

Anyway, we’re having our every-two-years-ly giant family gathering, and aside from the whole not being able to breathe thing, we’re having a grand time. You can read more about our adventures thus far over at Alpha Mom, and you don’t even have to climb to 9,600 feet to do it. (I mean, unless you want to, in which case, knock yourself out.)

7 Responses to “Please send oxygen”

Issa June 3, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Gatorade. Drink all the Gatorade. Water isn’t enough. Trust me on this one. I mean I live here…but also I frequently go up to that elevation and even for me living in Denver, water isn’t enough up there.

Tracy B June 4, 2014 at 1:07 pm #

So, I’ve never, ever heard of this game. Googling now. ;)

Tracy B June 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

You have got to go on amazon.com and read the questions & answers section on the game. They are hilarious!

12tequilas June 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm #

And the negative reviews are fake/sarcastic; as in, no one dislikes the game apparently!

P.S. Isn’t there some sort of acclimatization one can do? Feeling ill on vacation does not sound like a vacation!

Little Bird June 8, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Oh, fair warning, wine will hit you WAY faster at altitude…. Trust me, I live at 7200 feet, and moving here took some adjustment.
    I’m down in Santa Fe, NM, and I highly recommend a visit to this area, museums, hiking trails, SPAS!!! And the food is nothing short of amazing!

Sarahtoo June 9, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

Welcome to the neighborhood! I second what Issa said–drink water (or Gatorade), and in quantities way higher than you might at home. Fizzy water is good at altitute too–the carbonation helps oxygenate the bloodstream. But yeah, booze will hit you much harder. Hope you have fun, otherwise!

Topaz @ The Art of a Beautiful Life June 17, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

I am in love with the idea of huge family vacations. What a wonderful tradition! Good for your dad realizing how important this tradition is and making it happen. You guys are making some beautiful memories. It’s wonderful to meet you, Miriam! Have a beautiful day. xo ~Topaz