In which I admit…

… that that STOOPID parenting CD I had to listen to may have actually had a couple of good ideas.

New post over at Alpha Mom, about getting teens to cooperate. (Now that I’ve written it, of course, everything is going to blow up in my face. That’s how it works!)

14 Responses to “In which I admit…”

Midj April 30, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

Yay! So glad it wasn’t a complete bust. Heading to Alphamom, now!

Nancy R April 30, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

I keep forgetting to go back to that one post…much of what you said reminded me of what I’ve read/watched on Breńe Brown’s blog. But! This re-reminded me of her first episode with Oprah where she speaks about ‘foreboding joy’.

Karen. April 30, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

So d’ya suppose this’d work for a five-year-old? If so, I’ll commit the hour.

• 3.1
      Mir April 30, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

I do, Karen. I think it’s probably even more successful with younger kids, actually.

• Karen. May 1, 2013 at 9:59 am #

I wonder how many people clicked out to vimeo last night. Made it through one episode and part of another. Pretty interesting. Thanks.

Victoria April 30, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Is the CD just one hour? Or did you watch one hour of a longer CD? I’m off to purchase the book. I think you may have just saved my family.

• 4.1
      Mir April 30, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

The CD lent to me was just 70 minutes—it was a recording of a presentation he gave. I’m sure there’s even more information in the book.

Heather April 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Knock wood…or some such ;-)

Brenda April 30, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

I don’t have kids, but it seems to me that not only to kids have to be trained in how to be productive adults, parents have to be trained in how to, well, parent. It’s a great reminder for me (lover of routine and rigidity that I am) that flexibility and a willingness to try new things is important as an adult, too, not just kids.

jennP May 1, 2013 at 5:14 am #

i love that “not saying a word” technique… always gets my daughter going! Her brain turns itself on and then she miraculously figures it all out :)

I started reading Love and Logic technique a while back, which works for any age and has the same idea as the one you are mentioning. I even ordered some of their books. I love their living technique that just makes me smirk on the inside heheh.

Javamom May 1, 2013 at 10:30 am #

I’m doing it with my 8 year old. I just started, again, I keep falling off the wagon. If I could just learn…

It does work. Even with 8 year olds. sigh.

Thanks for that.

Monica May 1, 2013 at 10:46 am #

This is similar to the approach described in “Duct Tape Parenting”, a book I really like.

Jenne May 1, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Will have to try this!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Rachael May 4, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

You know, that guy sounds similar to the love and logic guy.