Mama’s got a brand new gig

First of all: thank you for all of the suggestions, yesterday. I spent an inordinate amount of time looking at the various alarm clocks you recommended, and giggling about things like squirting my child with water like a bad kitty and/or covering her in dog treats to get Licorice to do wake-up duty. For now, we’re trying three separate alarms (her idea, and it did get her up this morning), and I also went ahead and ordered an old-fashioned hammer-on-the-bells clock to try as it was the cheapest solution and I am hoping I won’t have to go all the way to an expensive bed-shaking clock.

And now the exciting thing: I am thrilled to announce that I’ve joined the team over at Alpha Mom! My first piece is up, and it’s all about the magic that is marching band. I’ll be writing weekly about various topics related to raising teenagers who are not, shall we say, standard issue. (Ahem.) Please read, bookmark, comment (you’re my favorite!), and absolutely let me know if you have ideas for topics you’d love to see covered.

14 Responses to “Mama’s got a brand new gig”

Shannon W. April 10, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Enjoyed your piece on marching band (esp. as a former band nerd).

So glad to see you contributing at Alphamom! I had found their focus to be a little too heavy on moms of babies and preschoolers and moms who want to do crafts – with the exception of Chris Jordan (who was really the only reason I was sticking around).

Djurdjica April 10, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Congratulations on getting a shiny, new gig. :)

Jean April 10, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Congrats Mir! Love this…as a parent of a 9 year old, I find myself reading more articles about the future :)

Genevieve April 10, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Yay for a shiny new gig and Alphamom adding posts relevant to parents of teens!

Michele April 10, 2013 at 11:40 am #

Yay on the new gig! Also, saw a snazzy alarm clock on Pinterest last night that is actually designed as a two person clock but it has two rings (one for each user) that VIBRATE when the alarm goes off so the noise doesn’t wake the other.

Grace April 10, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Congratulations! I’ll have to check out AlphaMom again. I quit browsing that one a long time ago.

Valerie April 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Congratulations! I love the new column almost as much as I loved marching band. Since I was in the flag corp, my uniforms were slightly less hideous than the band and we got to sit on the front row in the bleachers. Bonus!

Stephanie Ferber April 10, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

Love this article! just sent it to our high school band director and suggest he include it in his packet for new parents at sign ups tomorrow night! I’ve had four kids go through marching band and another one coming up next year and this is all the stuff I say to any parent who balks at the idea of their kid being a band geek! My husband was the hardest sell (he of the sports jock ilk) and he is a totally reformed band parent!

Kz April 11, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Love! I’m a band geek and band mom. Love your articles and posts and your wacky sense of humor!

Julie April 12, 2013 at 7:30 am #

I saw your post on Facebook and read it and then shared it. I did it all without realizing you had written it! I loved the piece, it was spot on!

Jenn April 12, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Band Geeks Unite!

Met most of my best friends in marching band. Still love them all.

Kady April 12, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

I take a few days off reading. I come back, and you are (even more) famous. Nice work!

Nance April 13, 2013 at 11:55 am #

I’ve actually been using the idea of squirting my daughter with water. It gets her out of bed, AND it serves to release some of my pent up aggression. Double win.

Rachel April 19, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Congrats on the new gig!

I just saw a Wallace & Grommit alarm clock on http://thatdailydeal.com/ and thought of you & Chickie.

Though, with my own almost-15-yo I really like the spraying her with water idea. :)