Soon I can hire her to take over

We talked for close to an hour, last night, and then after we’d said our goodbyes and I had retired to the couch with Otto, my phone dinged. It was a picture of Chickadee in her Halloween getup, with the comment, “Looky mommy! I’m fantastical.” I complimented her on the ensemble, and a minute later received: “u should put a pumpkin on my head and put me on ur blog.” I said I would, but apparently I was not speedy enough. An hour later, another text: “Look at the pics I made for u!”

Because I am a kind and loving mama, I responded, “GO TO BED, YOU HAVE SCHOOL TOMORROW. (Love you.)” She’s so lucky to have me.

Anyway, based on her Photoshop skills, I think she’s about ready to take over the blog for me. All of those years in the Witness Protection Program have served her well.

[In the interest of equal time: Hallelujah, I am finally the mother of children too old to dress up or go out trick-or-treating this year, and as a nearly-teenaged nod to the holiday, Monkey opted for this shirt this morning. Halloween, done.]

27 Responses to “Soon I can hire her to take over”

Little Bird October 31, 2012 at 11:36 am #

LOVE the fancy Halloween outfit!! Glad she’s well! And I may need that t-shirt of Monkey’s…..

Jan in Norman, OK October 31, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Chickdee’s outfit is fabulous! And I love Monkey’s sense of humor.

bonuela October 31, 2012 at 11:41 am #

other than a little jaundiced, she looks awesome, healthy and strong.

p.s. i am wearing the same socks today.

Heather Cook October 31, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Excellent! :)

Varda (SquashedMom) October 31, 2012 at 11:51 am #

AWESOME! And I bought those socks in purple for my traditional Halloween witch costume.

Jen October 31, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Is she wearing the festive splint/glove in solidarity with her mama? ;)

Midj October 31, 2012 at 11:52 am #

My husband will get a kick out of the t-shirt!!! My kids are grown and away for the first time this year but I sent them the picture of the dogs dressed as squirrels and they were thrilled to see it. Seems I forgot to tell them I bought the costumes… :-0 Happy Halloween!

Mir October 31, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Jen, that’s a sock we turned into an armwarmer a number of years back. Dunno if she’s wearing it because of me or just because she likes it!

Mom24@4evermom October 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Very cool! My son would LOVE Monkey’s shirt. Please tell me where you got it!

Mir October 31, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

We got the shirt at Goodwill, years ago. Sorry! (I stole someone’s picture from eBay, though, so maybe look there.)

Aimee October 31, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Chickie’s ensemble is very cool — she looks great, pumpkin-head and all. And I LOVE!!! Monkey’s t-shirt. That is awesome. where’d you get it?

deva October 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Oh very cool! chickadee’s get-up is fantastical, and her grin is very mischievous ;-). Monkey’s shirt is super awesome. Where did you get it? My similarly-aged brother would love it.

Headless Mom October 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

There is so much normalcy in this is makes me happy-cry. Love it so much!

Debra October 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Have you considered having her thyroid checked? Her eyes seem a little large.

Love your kids!

Happy Halloween.

Anna October 31, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

I was just thinking of her this morning. I’m glad she’s enjoying the holiday.

Arnebya October 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

I still have ones young enough to want to trick or treat and yet my desire to not participate still wins. Usually. This year I’ve given in and since we have no costumes (refer to early lack of desire on my part) we are going as a band of hobos. My parenting skills are superior (to my skills from last year).

I’m glad Chickadee is in the ghoulish (yet cute get-up) spirit).

@Debra — My husband suffered from Grave’s disease. His eyes never returned to their original size. The minute he sees someone with larger than “normal” eyes, “She needs to have her thyroid checked.” Yes, even in huge pumpkin- or googly eyed-circumstances.

Rosie October 31, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Holy #$@#$%! That pumpkin head freaked me right out.

naniofthree October 31, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

She looks great! Love that smile!

Jeanie October 31, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Chickie is awesome! Cute picture. My kids are also way too old for trick-or-treating, but I haven’t yet found a way to keep other kids from coming to my door. Yes, I’m a scrooge, but I have three inside dogs and it’s haaaard to answer the door with them barking, prancing, and one of them trying to escape.

Tracy B October 31, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Love it!!! Isn’t it awesome to be able to hand out candy instead of going trick or treatin’…I’m so glad mine are old enough to avoid that scene! Happy Halloween!!!

c October 31, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

love chickie’s style and sense of humor, wonder where she got it? :P

suzie October 31, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

She is SO lucky to have you. You are amazing.

Melody October 31, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

You talked for almost an hour? is that a typo? Because THAT is AWESOME!!! I love her costume, and I might try to make arm warmers with old socks for my little girls…Hmmmm…We do not trick-or-treat. We go to a fall festival at our church and play games, ride ponies and get tons of candy. It is much more fun! And we get to see lots of friends there.

The Other Leanne October 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

My goodness, she looks all tall and grown up and everything…and what a GREAT smile!!

js November 1, 2012 at 10:59 am #

I froze my butt off in the rain and the cold and the yuck last night for my pre-teen baby who digs giving candy out to the little ones more than going begging for it, door-to-door , these days. (I was a marathoner at her age when it came to trick or treating-out there til the bitter end…). Still it was totally worth it when we hit up a neighbor who was handing out cracker jacks. My kiddo has no experience with this old-fashoned snack (HA!) So, we hurried home, my husband and I telling her stories about the prize inside being the best part of the whole Cracker Jack experience while she sang,”Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” Sadly, the prizes are no longer what they used to be, but we had a great family time last night. It sounds like your family did, too.

Rocky Mountain Woman November 1, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Thanks for the chickie photo, it’s so nice to see her with a big smile on her face….

tee hee…

Michele November 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Wow, she really “pops” against all that Real Estate Beige.