After this, I’ll shut up about it

I believe the technical term for today is “post-show letdown.” The other technical term for today is “and now the shit hits the fan” or “every time an overworked parent takes some time to do something totally separate from her children there is later hell to pay.” Details! Call it whatever you want; Chickadee had a good most-of-a-week at school and came to the show twice and promptly became very ill again, and Monkey had to come home early from school today because it was just one of those days when he couldn’t pull it together.

Naturally, I am convinced that all of this is my fault. (I wouldn’t be me, otherwise. Right?)

In lieu of a real entry, I will instead offer you up this bootleg video which a pal of mine was kind enough to capture one night of the show. Didn’t make it out to see it? Now you can watch me swear a lot, anyway. Enjoy.

35 Responses to “After this, I’ll shut up about it”

Aubri February 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

You, are BRILLIANT! :-D Love, love, love it!

Barbara February 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Bravo!!

Laura February 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Thank you for that! As a woman who had a hysterectomy (at the age of 36) 3 weeks ago, I needed to hear that. It makes me feel a little stronger somehow (it’s been a rough few weeks). It cheered me up in a way I can’t seem to describe. Thank you for sharing your strength with the rest of us.

JillW. February 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Hope Chickie is doing better.

Lisa February 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Brava!!! So good. I was laughing out loud here at my kitchen table like a crazy person!
    Thanks for that. Hope Chickie and Monkey are feeling more like themselves very soon.

Liz February 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Of course it’s all your fault, but it’s probably because at some point you acccidentally thought, “whew! we got through this week!” Awesome performance!!!!

Bootleg Videographer February 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

I just want to offer (a) some online hugs to Mir for this suck-tastic Monday, and (b) my sincere apologies for the incessant giggling during the recording….. But seriously, she and her partner were *so* incredible. And have you ever seen someone look so cute while cussing like a sailor? Fantastic. :)

Kelly February 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

Mir was fantastic in the show – loved her as an Angry but very pretty vagina and her partner rocked too. Almost better was watching Mir crack up at other people’s sketches. Great show, great cause.

Lucinda February 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Wonderful. I’ve never seen the vagina monologues but when my daughter is a little older, I think I will start looking for the opportunity to see it with her. You were great! You are inspiring more than just your daughter. And that absolutely is your fault.

Leslie February 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

I loved the video!! Mir, you are awesome. Get well hopes to Chickadee!

kapgaf February 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Loved the video, loved the chortling – good to hear that it made men laugh (here in France, not so much).

Hang on in there for the next bout of swings and roundabouts with Chickee and Monkey. I’m rooting for you and your sidekick (sorry Otto, couldn’t resist).

Tracy B February 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Dang…I’m at work and there is no way I’m blaring my speakers with talk of Vajay-jays. I’ll have to wait until I get home. Dang it!!!

Jessica February 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

You were great! I’m glad we got to see it, since some of us live way up in the middle of the Frigid Northlands and couldn’t see it in person.

I do have to say, however, that my first doctor? She warmed up the duck lips. I thought this was the way it was done (I mean, yeah, it makes sense to warm up the freakin’ cold metal, right?) until I moved and went to my second doctor…and my third and fourth and…

Yeah, I guess most doctors don’t warm those up under hot water for you, eh?

Birchsprite February 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Wow! That was fabulous ! You are doing so many things right… Your kids are so lucky! You will all be fine … I’ve no doubt about that! You are definitely an inspirational Mama and the kids will thrive in the long run! Hope all is better soon! Take care Mrs

dad February 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

So I sat there with my granddaughter in the next seat, both of us beaming as my daughter extolled the virtues and tribulations of her angry vagina in this seven minute long bialogue.
    All I can say is: I am so proud.

Life may be full of surprises but you will be ready for them.

Sheila February 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Well done, you!

Bob February 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

I’m sorry to hear that Chickadee is sick, I hope it isn’t too bad.

You were fantastic in the show and I’m so glad I was able to see you in it.

Jenny February 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Holy COW, Mir. You are awesome.

Lisa February 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

I’ll have to watch it when the 12yo boy is out of the room…not because I want to shield him from angry vaginas, but because he’s skyping with friends and he’s drowning you out!

But I’m really looking forward to it. I’m so pleased you could share it with us!

Chris M. February 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

WOW — you are such a great actor!!!

Congratz on going forward with the show even though you had so many excuses to get out. So sorry about the problems with the kids, but deep down you must know that none of this is your fault, and they have a wonderful mother they can count on forever.

Melanie February 20, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

That was awesome! Thanks to Bootleg Videographer for recording it.

Stupid duck lips…

addy February 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Awesome – truly awesome! Not a word I use often. Thanks so much for sharing this. I could not make it to the show and thought I would never see it. Thank you again for sharing your life with us.

Little Bird February 20, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Love it!!!! I will never be able to look at the douche bags on Jersey Shore with their duck lips and NOT think of a speculum now!!!
    (you want a minor horror story? I had some tumors removed from the rectal orifice and they used the speculum. AND they had the audacity to tell me “it’s the same size as a penis”!!!! My response offended him. My heart bleeds for him.)

Heather February 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Someone’s showing off her acting chops ;) Great work, Mir.

Midj February 20, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Love, love, love that your dad and Chickie were there together to support you. Three generations of really loving supportive people. Thanks for chiming in Mir’s Dad. Hugs all around,

~~M~~

Midj February 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

PS Your hair looked really shiny…

Steph February 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

I LOVED that! Great job, Mir!

Reb February 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Gah, can’t watch this from work. Will have to wait.

Hope Chickadee gets past this set-back very very quickly. Promise her lots of icecream.

Neil February 21, 2012 at 12:49 am #

You are the best angry vagina I’ve ever heard!

Megan February 21, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Yay Mir’s Dad! And Mir too, natch.

My son is taking theatre app. this semester and this weekend was his first time attending a live show for the class. He had three options to choose from and I was so proud and impressed that he picked the Vagina Monologues! He went, perfectly serenely, all by himself, sat in a theatre packed with middle-aged women and had a blast. I told him I was glad he enjoyed himself but if he really wanted to see it done right he was going to have to head down to Georgia!

Brigitte February 21, 2012 at 8:33 am #

I did enjoy, thank you!

Hugs to the whole family.

Hally February 21, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Viva la Mir!!! Brava! You are amazing. :)

{sue} February 21, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Wow! Awesome angry vagina!

And I’m sorry about the fallout. I often wonder if it’s worth it, and in the midst of dealing with it all, I think, “No. No, this is not worth the trouble it causes.” But in the end, yes. Yes it is. I want my kids to see me doing something that feeds my soul. Because one day, their lives will be all about the treadmill of everyday and they will need to know that it’s ok, it’s important, to feed that part of them too.

Sending prayers for Chickie.

lauren February 22, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

I just watched this, coincidentally right after watching Jon Stewart’s commentary on the law in Virginia about putting things in vaginas. Damn.

shadymama February 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

yer voice is so cute – and as an “angry vagina” alum, as well, nothing beats a “dry wad of fucking cotton.” nothing.
    xo