Love is a long time comin’

Today I am running around, trying to do at least twelve things at once. There’s work to be done and errands to attend to and the dog wants to play (which, YAY, but also, kind of busy here, pup!) and despite their “help” I had to really clean the kids’ bathroom, today, just to preserve my own sanity.

This afternoon my mother-in-law and her sister (Otto’s aunt and godmother) are arriving for their first visit to our home in Georgia. For those of you who are new, or maybe just to refresh your memory, Otto’s mom was sick and unable to travel for far too long. After a prolonged and scary medical drama, last year she received a liver and kidney transplant, and now she’s on a plane, headed here.

It’s kind of a big deal. A huge deal, really.

Otto’s mom has never seen him in his home, with his family, doing all of the things that he normally does. And even though I wished for this day years ago, it’s hard to believe it’s finally arrived. She can spoil her grandkids. She can see her oldest child in his element. She can see the man I see.

Today is a very good day.

Happy Love Thursday, everyone.

32 Responses to “Love is a long time comin’”

Bethany September 23, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

Yay for you! That is so special. Enjoy! I don’t comment much but I read daily, just letting you know. Also today’s post touched me because my parents haven’t visited us out here in CA in years and if/when they come, it would feel the same way.

laura September 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

amen!

Lisa September 23, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

Tears over here… beautiful, Mir! Thanks for the “love” reminders! Have a great visit!

RuthWells September 23, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Awwww, how wonderful. Enjoy it.

Lylah September 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Have a great time!

And thank you for the reminder about cherishing the times you didn’t know you’d get to have. Love can be a long time coming… I’m so glad for you that this time has finally arrived.

Angela September 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

That is fantastic! Have a wonderful visit!

Megan September 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Oh hooray! Love Thursday is a wonderful way to be present for these moments, isn’t it? To catch them at the time instead of only recognizing them in retrospect.

I hope it’s a wonderful visit.

navhelowife September 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm #

Have a great visit. We are at the opposite end of the spectrum. This will be the only place I have lived, in 19+ years of marriage, that my mother will not see for herself. Actually, it will be the only place I have *ever* lived that she will not see for herself. So enjoy the visit, and enjoy the company, and treasure that wonderful family you have :)
    Thanks for all your wonderful writing.

Debbi September 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm #

Happy Love Thursday to you too! May this visit be everything you dreamed of and more!

midj September 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

Enjoy. I’m sure the love will overflow. My best to all of you.

Katie in MA September 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

I’m glad you linked to your Christmas post – it’s one of your best. :) Happy Love Thursday to you and yours! I hope your m-i-l’s visit is filled with fun and many more magical moments.

Jamie September 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm #

Yay, what a great thing to celebrate! I hope you all have a super-fantastic time together!!!

Jan September 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

Aww … that linked-to post made me weepy.

(I hadn’t read it before, which surprised me, because I thought I’d read them all. Then I looked at the date on it — one day after my son was born. That explains that, then!)

Enjoy the visit and everything it means to your family.

Aubri September 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm #

Okay, a little misty at the last full paragraph. I remember that post, and I’m so glad she gets to be at your house!! Hip-hip-HOORAY! Have a great time.

Mary September 23, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Have a wonderful visit! Your Love Thursday post brought tears to my eyes, but the linked-to post?!?!? Geesh! How do I explain THIS at work???

On a side note: finally ordered my “mail order eye glasses” and anxiously check my mailbox when I arrive home every night!!!!!!

Aimee September 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

How wonderful — Happy Love Thursday! And thanks for linking to that Christmas post, it’s truly one of my favorites of yours (and that’s saying something).

Amy September 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

Oh my heart, it has swollen to twice it’s normal size. Happy Love Thursday!!!

Em September 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

I’m so glad she is better! Have a wonderful visit!

Half Assed Kitchen September 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

Everyone should get to see their son that way. Thanks for the sweet post.

Cele September 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

To a wonderful visit – Cheers!

Annette September 24, 2010 at 1:03 am #

That is awesome! I am so glad she is doing well:)

mamaspeak September 24, 2010 at 1:10 am #

So happy for all of you. I’m sure it’s going to be wonderful.

dad September 24, 2010 at 9:19 am #

Enjoy.

JennyM September 24, 2010 at 9:23 am #

Yayyyy! Here’s to a marvelous visit and as little time at the Atlanta airport as possible.

Lynda M Otvos September 24, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

me too. My folks have not seen where I have lived since 1989.

Tracy September 24, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

WOW! I never heard the stories about Otto’s mom. It’s such a blessing she’s in good health and able to travel. I hope this visit is as awesome as ever! That is so awesome!!!

Window On The Prairie September 24, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

Enjoy your visit!

Suzanne

Lara September 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm #

Aww …How wonderful – enjoy your visit! I haven’t read that old entry yet, still working on 2004! I’ve been really enjoying it as your kids were at a similar stage to mine back then … love how you captured it all with humor! Though I have to tell you that the blogging for books Tumbling Down entry had me in tears. So great to know that there was a happy ending :)

sirja September 25, 2010 at 9:21 am #

Stumbled upon this site, simply by accident – just the way it happens in the world of bloggers. Was immediately caught by the humorous and easy style. And want more! So will be back :-)

Shannon September 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm #

These visits, they are a huge deal. My MIL’s first visit after a prolonged health crisis, huge. I’m not sure the kids got that at the time, but it didn’t matter, that wasn’t the point. And I think it’s lovely that you appreciate your MIL’s visit so very much. I hope you had the best time ever, and that your kids did,too.

JanineGWebb September 29, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

I just wanted to say how happy I am that your family had that time together. We live away from family as well, and I often regret that my children don’t have the benefit of having their grandparents and extended family with them more. As you know, though, it just makes those times we are all together more memorable.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Loving as best I can | Woulda Coulda Shoulda - October 7, 2010

[...] out, Otto’s mom and aunt wanted to send us a little thank-you for their visit. It was totally unnecessary, of course. I feel like we should be thanking THEM. (But if I send them [...]