Inspiring things

I’m not here right now. Rather, I’m here, but I’m hiding. I am not being my best self right now, and as such I am looking for inspiration elsewhere on how people do the right thing even when, maybe, life is not feeling so right.

Do you know what I mean? If you do (or even if you don’t), here’s three places to go today that I promise will up your good karma:

1) Please visit this post at BlogHer to painlessly donate a book to a child in need. Your comment = a book for a kid. It’s that simple. (Bonus points: You blog about it, that’s another book, too.)

2) I couldn’t be more excited about my friend Karen Walrond’s impending book than if I’d written it myself, and the video she posted today made me wish I could always see what she sees. Go watch it.

3) I don’t know this woman (in fact, never read her blog before today), but this post makes me want to be a better person.

Maybe tomorrow I WILL be a better person. I hope so.

26 Responses to “Inspiring things”

Leandra May 19, 2010 at 11:35 am #

That third link is a friend of mine. I’m constantly inspired by her posts.

I hope things get better for me. And just know that there are a lot of people out here in blogworld (and real life too!) who think you ARE doing the right thing, even if it doesn’t feel like it. Hang in there.

Leandra May 19, 2010 at 11:36 am #

I meant to say I hope things get better for YOU. You. Not me. (was that Freudian?)

Jenna May 19, 2010 at 11:40 am #

You didn’t ask for advice, but here’s some anyway.

When I don’t want to do the right thing, can’t seem to do that thing I should do, just don’t want to do anything at all….I remember that if I don’t do it I will feel worse.

That isn’t always as much comfort as it should be. But I try to frame it as ‘the high road’ or being the person ‘i wish i was’. Sometimes that helps. Sometimes not.

The only real comfort for me is this mantra: I’ve been through worse with less. Less love, less money, less support, less access to resources. If I could do that thing before with so much less…then I can do this too.

Eh, it’s all I got.

Hugs,
    Jenna.

laura May 19, 2010 at 11:41 am #

I hope you FEEL like a better person tomorrow, because we already know you are a GREAT person. Be kind to yourself and thank you for sharing the links. I love the Random Acts of Kindness and can’t wait to steal this idea and make it my own!

Lucinda May 19, 2010 at 11:49 am #

You are a better person. You just aren’t having a better day. ((HUGS)) We all have those days. Hope yours passes soon.

Ariel May 19, 2010 at 12:00 pm #

I always put on FInding Nemo on day (months? Weeks? I have them) like that. And then I sing along with Dori- “Just keep swimming!”
    I swear it helps.
    HUGS.
    And even wonderful people such as yourself have less than wonderful days:)

elz May 19, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

You are much too hard on yourself dear Mir. Take today, rest, relax, gather, engage in some retail therapy-what?

karyn May 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

go get a pedicure or a massage. Or better yet, icecream or yougurt or some non wheat laden treat!! Take 15 minutes to yourself, enjoy the sunshine and clear your mind. Sing loudly in the car with the windows rolled down.

Breathe. It will get better!

I’m a new reader and i absolutely love your blog!

meghann May 19, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

I think you just gave me an idea on what to do for my big 3-0 this summer. Thank you.

elizabeth May 19, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

so sorry your A Day is turning into A Week, that just sucks.
    I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Katie in MA May 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

You are my Inspiring Thing, Mir. See, I would have stayed and spewed my grouchiness and my issues all over everyone around me. *You* put yourself in a time-out to contain the contamination. (Not that we would have minded, she hurried to add. Heh.) Maybe try to sneak away and read outside (alone) in the sunshine. Or take Licorice for a nice long walk. It will make you feel a little better. And just in case you need to hear the magic words: You’re Pretty!

Karen May 19, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Mir, for Christ sake you are a good person!!!… Really! Why do you keep beating yourself over the head?! Not all things are in your control or have anything to do with whether you are a good or bad person or if you did the right thing 10 years and a day ago. Your reaction now is in your control. And you seem to be doing all the right things, from where I sit. Just a note form a virtual stranger, I understand… but you know, been there and done some of that.

This is where having a dog is a really really good thing… I take mine to the beach.park.whatever and go for a long walk and stop on the way home for icecream and just breathe.

RuthWells May 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

Breathe deep. Be kind to yourself. Take a break and start fresh tomorrow.

Hugs!

Secret Agent L May 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

oh, darling. i’m so sorry you’re not feeling like your best self right now. i’ve been there, too–quite recently, actually. wanting to hide from the world, pull the covers up over my head, snuggle deep into the mattress… you’re not alone. but, i bet those who really know you will say that you are your best self–because you are here, giving, loving, writing, connecting.

we will wait for you, though, to come back to the person you want to be. our arms = open.

as for #3, i visited her blog today for the first time via @ClumberKim on Twitter, and i nearly cried myself right out of my chair. what an inspiration. i try to be like her each day through the missions i complete. thank you for sharing her story here with us.

sending big hugs from pittsburgh…

xoxo,
    secret agent l

Headless Mom May 19, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

This funk is totally going around. Can we catch it through the internet?

s May 19, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

wow, you are actually human? many of us lurking are not our best selves on a regular basis! so please do not hide!

I hope things improve for you…

sassymonkey May 19, 2010 at 2:08 pm #

I think this week is reveling in kicking everyone’s butts. However, some of us took a vote and decided that Wednesday wasn’t going to mess with us. Take that week!

Anna Marie May 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

Please come back soon, Dear Mir. (I like how that rhymes.)

karyn May 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

Mir, i wanted to say thanks for telling me i’m pretty even thought you’ve never seen me! Another reason you are amazing. Also i wanted to pass along a place that i used to work for that may be useful for your son (now or in the future) they are in PA but The Family Trust portion is full of great people that provide service all over the US! They will ensure that later in life (if he ever can’t live on his own-but i have more to that to add below) he is taken care of.

We had a part time helper here who was also an Aspie. She was fantastic with computers and such. Her dad was a trust lawyer that helped us on some cases. SHe moved to Washington DC BY HERSELF! eventually and has been doing great there. So there are so many things that he can achieve. If anyone ever says he can’t, point them to me because i have so many stories to prove them wrong! I loved my job with The Family Trust, and i truly love passing on what they can do for others.

Debbi May 19, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

Wow, thanks for that link,that woman is amazing. :-)

Heather May 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

Well, that bites, now doesn’t it? I hope things get better very, very soon, and like Ariel said, “Just keep swimming” heh. (I sing that to myself sometimes, too!)
    Also, *hugs*.

Lise May 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

Thanks for sharing the post about random acts of kindness. I’m inspired to have a random acts of kindness day myself. It might be just the thing to push me out of the doldrums I’m in.

Jodie May 19, 2010 at 5:43 pm #

I agree – Mir, you often are my thing that inspires me to be a better person! Hugs.

Mike Golch May 19, 2010 at 6:18 pm #

I can so relate.I got a lot of stuff in my life right now as well.

Carmen May 19, 2010 at 9:59 pm #

I think it’s the weather. I’ve been in a bad place for a couple of days now. Hey, at least it gave both of us something to write about!

(Bright side, Mir – bright side…)

Mare Martell May 20, 2010 at 9:32 am #

I find it odd that someone who daily exposes herself to judgment and criticism about her daily life, who receives consistent praise and reassurance, who makes hard but good choices could think herself less than she is in reality. (Talk about a run-on!)

Mir, ever since I discovered your blog through Stumble, I’ve been a faithful reader. Every story of trials, tribulations, love, and joy show me that I’m okay. They show me this because sometimes it does get hard and it’s okay to flounder in doubt. Truthfully, you seem to be a normal woman (loosely used there ;-) ) who is fighting the hard fight like everyone on the planet. I know it sounds trite, but hold on sister. Tomorrow when you wake up without a toe tag you’ll already be ahead of the game.

Peace to your heart and spirit.