I don’t know if you noticed that we changed the clocks, this weekend? Or that it is now currently whatthehello’clock?
One hour. I feel like such a wimp, unable to reconcile my brain to a difference of a single hour. But I’m definitely struggling with it, on account of how I’m a delicate flower and everything.
I had big plans, this weekend, to get a bunch of stuff done around the house. BIG PLANS, I tell you! Mostly I sat on the couch. I read some books. I watched some sub-standard television. I ate some cake. It’s really like I am the very poster child for sloth, some days. And I feel like I’d be proud of that, maybe, if I had a little more energy….
So this morning, I’m off to walk with a friend (fresh air! sunshine!) in an effort to wake myself up.
Because, naturally, although we had 6″ of snow last week, today it’s supposed to hit the high 70s. Life in the south is never boring, people.
In the meantime, I offer you various random things on my mind:
1) Chickadee wants to get her ears pierced for her 11th birthday. Chickadee also has a great big fear of needles and pain. Chickadee is not necessarily understanding the disconnect between these two items. (And I am not necessarily desirous of a hysterical child who only has one pierced ear.)
2) Our bed started to develop a valley in the mattress where Otto sleeps. It’s a no-flip mattress (flat on the underside), so our choices were to rotate it properly—landing me in the valley—or try to rig up a 90-degree rotation even though king-size mattresses are not, it turns out, perfectly square. Guess which one we did? (Hint: It involved two-by-fours!) Ever since the rotation, I’ve been waking up with a stiff neck. While I cannot draw a direction causation, I cannot help but feel that we have somehow angered the Bed Gods.
3) Having cake in the house is a very dangerous thing. The only logical solution is to eat it as quickly as possible, so that it will be gone. (Unrelated: Hmmm, I wonder why my pants don’t fit…?)
4) I am busy planning my vegetable garden for this year, and am wondering what I really SHOULD plant that I might not think of while I’m plotting. Any ideas?
5) I thought I was being extremely clever, getting some 2-way radios, so that I could allow the kids to ride their bikes around the neighborhood but still reach them in a hurry in case my overprotective mother tendencies demanded it. However, it appears that Monkey is capable of riding at high speeds and yapping unintelligibly into the radio AT THE SAME TIME. (That’s my boy; so talented!) As a result, if I let him take the radio, I end up with a non-stop stream of undecipherable chatter and an overwhelming urge to hang myself. On the other hand, if he rides out of sight, I really like being able to beep him. Do I give up on the radios, or let him take it with instructions that he is not to push the button unless responding to my call or bleeding?
Also, I am blaming all of this on the time change. Just because.