Brokedown garage

So, yesterday we loaded everyone into our truck and drove up to the north Georgia mountains and procured ourselves a genuine 1950s dinette set, cracked-ice formica tabletop and all. I suspect that Otto was a good sport about the drive to go get it on account of his recent car debacle, and I’m pleased to report that all went very smoothly; there were no breakdowns or crazy people or detours, and the set was pretty much what we expected and the guy who sold it to us even knocked the price down a little.

Really the only complications were a bit of mild carsickness (those mountain roads are twisty) and the fact that Otto kept breaking out in a terrible rendition of banjo music from Deliverance.

There’s a bit of rust on the chrome table legs that needs to be polished, before we bring the set into the kitchen, so we left it in the garage. Next to the broken car. Now, who will get their purchase into working order first, me or Otto…?

25 Responses to “Brokedown garage”

Otto February 9, 2009 at 9:25 am #

Get the kids in bed by 8 and we’ll have a garage duel!

I know how to define my finish (running car), but I think you need to get the new (old) table cleaned and get the old (old) table out of the kitchen, cleaned and prepped for sale.

I’m going to lose this contest, but it’ll be quality time together at least …

-otto

Barbara February 9, 2009 at 9:32 am #

You both tempt fate by infusing a competitive component into your relationship. chkl. (I’m not worried, as you obviously are not either.)

Er, I thought Mir wanted the table in HER kitchen. No?

hehe, the Deliverance angle – did you explain THAT to the children?

Don’t remember if I told this in comments before…but my Hubby bought a car online – only pretended to give me choice. Mir’s post on that episode was an accurate representation of how I felt about that, too.

What color is the ice-cracked formica top? yellow or turquoise?

diane February 9, 2009 at 9:38 am #

I thought southerners decorated with non-functional items?

The dinette set sounds sweet, and I’m willing to bet Mir will triumph.

Tammy February 9, 2009 at 9:46 am #

Great, I’m going to have that banjo song in my head all day today. THANKS Mir! ;)

Pictures? (Of the dinette, not the car. Sorry Otto!)

Aimee February 9, 2009 at 10:10 am #

Heh… my money’s on you (sorry, Otto!)

And THANKS A LOT Otto for the Deliverance music.

Ani February 9, 2009 at 10:22 am #

But now you can sit in the garage and have iced tea while Otto works on the car and plays Deliverance music.

:-)

Chuck February 9, 2009 at 10:39 am #

I think your next purchase should be a used banjo.

tori February 9, 2009 at 11:09 am #

I can’t wait to see pictures!

All Adither February 9, 2009 at 11:14 am #

Someone’s going to have to pick at a banjo while you’re dueling in the garage.

Angela February 9, 2009 at 11:15 am #

Yeah! Can’t wait to see the pictures.

Burgh Baby February 9, 2009 at 11:33 am #

My money is on Mir, all the way. Otto can try and change the rules all he wants, it won’t help.

Jill in Atlanta February 9, 2009 at 12:22 pm #

My very conservative (I think) neighbors have a bumper sticker that reads “Paddle Faster- I Hear Banjo Music”. I just cringe every time I read it. I don’t know if they understand what it says or not and am not sure I want to ask!

Beth A. February 9, 2009 at 12:45 pm #

My hubby plays the banjo…if you want, he’d probably come down to GA to play some Deliverance music in real life for you while you two race to finish your prizes. :)

bob February 9, 2009 at 2:43 pm #

I don’t know where y’all went, but Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga river in north Georgia. (My dad and I went rafting down the same stretch of river years ago.) So – was Otto reliving old memories?

Keyona February 9, 2009 at 3:06 pm #

How nice of Otto to throw the towel in. I love a smart man. :o)

Katie in MA February 9, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

Tell Otto to quit being so cute! He’s raising the bar too high with all of these witty & loving comments.

Emily in IL February 9, 2009 at 4:45 pm #

For that rust you can try rubbing it with aluminum foil, I think that works pretty well. Naval Jelly works REALLY well, but you have to be careful with it.

giyen February 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm #

Great. Now *I* have the dueling banjoes in my head.

ps. my bet is on you.

Reagan February 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

Why, you, of course! Women know how to get things done!

(Now prove me right…please? Because, you know, women are always right, too) :)

Michelle February 9, 2009 at 9:19 pm #

Oh, you are definitely winning that contest.

mama speak February 9, 2009 at 11:04 pm #

Are you going to have dueling banjos playing while you work on your projects?

Otto February 10, 2009 at 9:11 am #

UPDATE: Mir won. I broke a bolt in the engine block. The new (old) table is in the kitchen, the old (newer) one in the garage.

For the record, I did help her carry the tables around …

-otto

Catherine P February 11, 2009 at 10:34 pm #

Good job being such a sweet husband Otto…I’m jelous…I should re-train my husband…

Daisy February 12, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

You’re not really asking for predictions, are you?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Woulda Coulda Shoulda » Love draws closer - February 19, 2009

[...] I got my shiny dinette and it did just what I wanted it to do—it made the kitchen seem like it was MEANT to be sort [...]