There aren’t words to adequately describe how completely ANNOYED I was when I dashed off yesterday’s post, and even as I wrote it I thought to myself that folks would probably suggest I take a nice hot bath or perhaps half a bottle of Xanax and go have some quiet time. But no, it turned into One Of Those Things where my extensive premeditation was “GAH!” and yet it turned out to be a piece that went over really well.
We’ll not discuss the times I slave over a piece of writing, convinced it’s marvelous, and the reaction is a resounding chorus of crickets chirping. It’s a Murphy’s Law application to writing for an audience, methinks.
And we’ll also not discuss the pressure (OH THE PRESSURE) of following up after such a post, when I know deep in my insecure little heart that whatever I say today will not be as amusing as yesterday. Alas.
It’s HARD being me, people.
Today’s dilemma: I’m going to be speaking at a conference next week, and so for the last month or so I have been plotting my wardrobe. This is a complicated business, because 80% of the reason I chose to work from home is so that I can consider myself “dressed up” when I’m wearing anything other than my pajamas. (Of the remaining 20%, 1% is because I wanted to be available for my children, and 19% is because being here alone means I can eat all the cookies and feign ignorance, later.)
Clearly, I need something business-like to wear on the day I speak. Good. Fine.
Clearly, I need something slightly-less-business-y but still appropriate for mingling amongst people for whom I may wish to work, on the other day of the conference. Good. Fine.
I was trucking right along, people. I have a new dress. I have new shoes. I picked out some things and felt reasonably confident that all was well.
Last week, someone contacted me to ask if I’d be willing to come do ANOTHER thing while I’m in New York, and I said yes. And after arrangements were made my very first thought was OHMYGODWHATAMIGOINGTOWEAR??
And I’m exactly the sort of dork who is now completely wrapped up in this, frozen with panic, because I have less than a week to figure it out and I’m guessing that jeans and a t-shirt and my favorite sneakers (the ones with the polka-dot laces) would probably not be appropriate. Ha.
So, um, I bought another pair of shoes. OBVIOUSLY.
And, uh, I bought some new pants, and a cute little swingy jacket.
No, they don’t actually go TOGETHER. But they were on sale….
Lord, I’m hopeless. Utterly hopeless.
Too bad I can’t take a post like yesterday’s and wear that and look instantly put together. I bet it would match my new shoes, even. I mean, OF COURSE IT WOULD.
I have to go back to my closet and stare at things, now.
[And in case you were wondering, I absolutely did lay down the smack on many of the items in yesterday’s post. This morning the children were assembled for breakfast by 6:45, as directed. We had a lovely, calm morning. And no one cared that I was wearing my bathrobe.]