Love Thursday: Angels

I think there are some people who come into our lives to test us (sometimes to the very limits of our endurance), and some people who come into our lives to love us in a way that humbles us as nothing else can. Both of these are important lessons.

Sometimes, you get both in the same person. (Most often in our offspring. Heh.)

In the spirit of the new Kind Blog, I’ve been thinking a lot about who people are to me in my life, and who I want to be to others.

Kira gave me this little angel coin in August of 2005, when we descended upon Joshilyn‘s house for a few days. She brought it to me late one night as we were getting ready for bed, and told me the story behind it, and pressed it into my palm with the promise that things would get better.

I was, at that time, deeply in the throes of uncertainty and lack of hope, while Kira fairly glowed with promise and calm (whatever it is that Clay does to that woman, it is potent; this was before they were even engaged, so I imagine she emanates a blinding white aura now that they’ve been married coming up on a year). If she had offered me eye of newt and told me it would help, I would’ve taken it.

The coin itself is both lighter than it looks and surprisingly substantive. It’s not quite a true round. I have plucked it from amongst the change in my wallet and had it in my hand every day for at least a few seconds since the day Kira gave it to me. While the angel doesn’t do much for me, visually, it is very soothing to run my thumb along the ridges that compose her, then along the smooth back of the coin.

Things did get better, of course. The angels in my life waited patiently while I figured it out. Nowadays, when I run my thumb along the angel coin, I wonder who I will pass it on to next. I think my time with it is almost done.

Happy Love Thursday, everyone.

26 Responses to “Love Thursday: Angels”

Muirnait November 16, 2006 at 1:04 am #

That’s so cool :-) I always find it comforting to have something to fidget with, somehow, just a little reminder…

baggage November 16, 2006 at 1:04 am #

That was really beautiful.

Kay November 16, 2006 at 1:18 am #

Really beautiful post. Happy Love Thursday.

MMM November 16, 2006 at 1:45 am #

AWWW. That is so sweet. Pay it forward, huh?!

Cele November 16, 2006 at 1:51 am #

I love those little touchstones in life that ground you in hope, faith, love, and harmony.

Chookooloonks November 16, 2006 at 6:20 am #

What a beautiful tribute to a good friend. It’s perfect.

Happy Love Thursday.

K.

birchsprite November 16, 2006 at 6:26 am #

so beautiful!

Terri November 16, 2006 at 7:18 am #

How eloquently put, and how lucky you both are to have each other.

dad November 16, 2006 at 7:56 am #

You done good Mim.

How’s that for elegancy?
    And whomever you pass it onto, never forget you had it.

Cynthia Samuels November 16, 2006 at 7:59 am #

As usual, beautifully felt and brilliantly written. Did you know that one of the AA traditions is to pass your 30 day, 24 hour, 1 year etc. chips on to someone who, after you, struggled to get that far? Angels come in lots of different outfits, eh?

Bob November 16, 2006 at 8:01 am #

the only true touchstones are those that are passed on like this one. The good it brings the recipient is in its giving, not in any intrinsic quality it has. The accumulative good from having been continually passed on to those in need make it more and more powerful talisman for those truely in need of it. After all, love is about giving, not receiving. The person you give this to will really be blessed. I am sure you will use it’s power wisely. (by giving it to me!)

tori November 16, 2006 at 8:01 am #

I have a necklace like that. I gave it to my best friend when she found out she had cancer years ago. When I found out about my cancer, she sent it to me and totally made me cry. I hope I don’t have to give it to anyone else (becuase it seems to be our “cancer strength necklace”) but if I found someone who was having a tough time with cancer, I would give it up in a second. I was just thinking the other day that I don’t seem to need it as much now.

Such a touching story you wrote!

Ei November 16, 2006 at 10:04 am #

I think you just passed it on to a lot of people who may need it. Thanks.

Melanie Lynne Hauser November 16, 2006 at 10:07 am #

How wonderful that you have this in your life – this touchstone. I need to figure out how to include more things – and more people in my own life. This is something I’ve neglected, and as I get older, I seem to regret it more and more.

Velma November 16, 2006 at 10:08 am #

Beautiful post, heartfelt and thoughtful and grateful and wise.

I am definitely feeling the Love Thursday around here!

chris November 16, 2006 at 11:15 am #

What an incredible post. And what a wonderful friend.

Kira November 16, 2006 at 11:19 am #

Ohhh….shoot! I have something in my eye.
    Love you.

Kendra November 16, 2006 at 11:36 am #

What a great Love Thursday! It’s funny how the littlest thing can impact our lives so much. Great post!

Dana November 16, 2006 at 11:54 am #

That’s awesome. Like a good luck charm. I like it!

InterstellarLass November 16, 2006 at 4:58 pm #

Lovely. I sometimes feel I have an angel looking over my shoulder, and I wonder what I did to deserve it being there.

Gillian November 16, 2006 at 5:11 pm #

Wow. What kind of place would we live in if we made that single change not just in blogs but in life. Just the decision to test what we do and say against the measure, “Is this kind?” and then discerning how what we can do that would meet that measure.

kerrianne November 16, 2006 at 5:55 pm #

I love! Love Thursdays. And yes, this was lovely. I’m sure whomever holds the coin after you will feel the warmth of friendship radiating from within it. : )

Warrior Knitter November 16, 2006 at 7:49 pm #

I love your Love Thursdays.

If you’re looking for suggestions, Snow needs it from Adventures of a Snowball in Hell.

Karen November 16, 2006 at 10:43 pm #

Yeah, you did just pass it on to a whole lot of people who need it.

Everything is definitely not alright. But thank you for reminding me that one day it will be.

Aye Davanita November 17, 2006 at 5:04 pm #

I have that exact coin!! What is the story behind it?
    My ex gave it to me a few years ago. He said a stranger walked up to him and gave it to him. I have it with my change in my wallet. I wasn’t aware I had to pass it on.

Dawn November 17, 2006 at 10:16 pm #

At one of the darkest points of my life, I just happened to look down just before I stepped through the doorway of my office building and saw a pewter version of your angel stone. I’ve carried it ever since. My life hasn’t improved to quite the level of yours (my Otto remains elusive) but things are infinitely better than they were. Maybe it’s time I passed mine on as well.