It’s a melon

It’s depressing me to have that last post be on top of the page, here. Instead let’s all admire the latest arrival at Casa Mir:

I’ve been trying to grow melons in my garden for years, and this year—the year my garden surely should be dead of neglect—is of course the year that they took. We’ve had a lot of rain, you see. (Also: irony.) I have trellised the sugar baby vines and dutifully constructed pantyhose slings for my budding fruits, and although my reading told me all about how fruits should reach at least eight pounds and sound hollow and blah blah blah, this morning this melon had made an executive decision and broken free of both its vine and sling.

At six and a half pounds even, it may be a little premature. But it sounds hollow, so who knows. My boys arrive home tonight after being away for a week; I’ll save it for them. We’ll cut it open tomorrow and see if it’s any good. And if it’s not, well, I’ll try not to take it personally. (If it is, I won’t take that personally, either.) It’s just a melon.

33 Responses to “It’s a melon”

Patricia July 16, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Sometimes a melon is not just a melon.

Summer July 16, 2012 at 10:09 am #

I, for one, am glad that you didn’t have to actually give birth to this latest arrival.

Mir July 16, 2012 at 10:10 am #

You know, Summer, I was thinking this melon was kind of wimpy, but your comment makes me realize it weighs more than Monkey did when he was born. Perspective!

amy July 16, 2012 at 10:15 am #

I hope it’s yummy!

Kim July 16, 2012 at 10:24 am #

It’s your melon! Am thinking fuzzy melon thoughts.

Midj July 16, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Melon!

Susan in SF July 16, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Very impressive!! Thanks for sharing. I’m sure your boys will enjoy the harvest!

birchsprite July 16, 2012 at 11:05 am #

I’m hoping it’s a yummy one! Love to you all.

Em July 16, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Here’s hoping the melon brings your day some sweetness!

Megan July 16, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Forever and ever and always when I see a melon I will hear that sweet little old lady in ‘When Harry Met Sally’ saying, ‘I knew. I knew the way you know about a good melon.’

That looks like a very good melon.

Stimey July 16, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Hooray for melons! Our garden has thus far provided 8 cherry tomatoes.

Frank July 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

leave it to a guy to make this observation:

You seem to talk a lot about your ‘wimpy melons’.

this moment of levity brought to you by the 10 year old boy in all of us…. I hope it brings the chuckle for which it is meant.

MomCat July 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

A melon-choly post, but with sweetness. Rain should result in sweetness! Here’s wishing you more and more.

Jamie July 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Along Frank’s lines, I was thinking if there were two of them, we could spend all day making jokes about your “melons!”

Kate July 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

Melon! Sweet!
    “melons”! Funny!!

Tracy B July 16, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

The 10 year boy made me laugh! Can’t wait to hear more about how good it is/was?

Jess July 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I have NEVER been able to grow melons, despite years and years of trying. Good for you! I always neglected mine, though, so perhaps that’s not the key. ;)

Michele July 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

It is taking a great deal of restraint, but I shall not embark on a tirade of sophomoric one-liners involving “pantyhose slings and budding fruits.”

Becky July 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

I would like Michele’s comment if I could.

Aimee July 16, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

@ Megan — me too! I’ve been buying mini-watermelons, and every single time I get home and unload the groceries I have to say that. It’s a problem.

I hope that melon tastes as good as it looks, because it looks good and I believe that it wouldn’t have broken free like that if it weren’t ready to be eaten!

karen July 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

What Michele said. :-)

Amanda July 16, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

I along with Becky I would “like” Michele’s comment but I can’t because I am cracking up!

Navhelowife July 16, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Melons are wonderful. I tried to grow ones this summer, but the dogs ate them.

laura July 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

I still stand by my mantra “mother nature is the meanest mother of them all”. To be fair, she can also provide an unending amount of simple pleasures. Enjoy your melon!

ccr in MA July 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

It only grew because you weren’t looking. Nature is perverse that way.

Hope it’s good!

Christine July 16, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

We have a newish apple tree and its apples keep jumping off all by themselves. Thus, in addition to being slightly mealy, they are also bruised. Which means I’ve been making a lot of apple pies and apple sauce, which are actually delicious! In a similar vein, I came across a recipe for “watermelon soup” a few weeks ago. I initially thought it sounded disgusting, but out of curiosity I read further, and it turns out that you add rum? So in fact, it’s actually a watermelon cocktail! We tried it: sublime over ice. Maybe you could make watermelon “soup” out of your melon if it isn’t appetizing enough to eat… ;o)

erika July 16, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

One year we grew watermelons. We live in a mountain climate with a supershort growing season. Everyone said “DON”T TRY IT!” “YOU”LL NEVER DO IT!”
    But we did.
    I did not know about the pantyhose sling, but other than that, I nurtured my little babies.
    Then, one appeared! It grew and grew. It seemed like it might make it.
    The vine flourished.
    It was glorious.
    Then right before it was all the way ripe, a damn deer got into our garden enclosure and ate all the rind off.
    The End.

StephLove July 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

My experience with watermelons is that even if you pick them too early they’re still edible. Less sweet and with a wider white area than you’d expect but still juicy and yummy in their own way.

StephLove July 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

p.s. I have a lot of experience with under and over ripe melons because all those tricks about how to tell when they’re ripe often contradict each other and half the time are inaccurate. They are fickle, melons.

addy July 16, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Yaaa – insert 12 year old boy comments about “premature melons” and “breaking free of vine and sling” and have a good chuckle or give me the MOM look. Meh either is good.

Bryan July 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

The color of that melon is beautiful. It looks hand painted.

victoria July 17, 2012 at 8:48 am #

I’m happy you were in the mood to make this entry :)
    If you wish: Tape a few pictures into a tiny photo album. Or 2. One for your daughter, one for you.
    Make a little personal note in the book “12,000 things to make you happy“ (maybe I messed up the title….)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Loose ends, tied up with tomato vines | Woulda Coulda Shoulda - July 22, 2012

[...] I know everyone has been on the edge of their seats, I feel obligated to let you know that the kamikaze melon was not, in fact, quite ripe. I waited several days to cut it open, and then I tried to feed it to [...]