Number six!

One week of school is almost over, and already I feel like we have barely seen Chickadee. Between school and marching band and homework and a new youth group and the general business of leading a life, she is busy and happy and I am trying to be grateful for family dinnertime and the five or ten minutes here and there when I can catch a smile and a hug and a shred of information about her day.

One month ago, we were offered a potential treatment for Chickadee’s ever-present rash and I watched with a mix of annoyance and amusement as several of you wagged your fingers in the comments, telling me I needed to force her to do it. And the thing is, even if I would’ve been willing to go that route, the doctor told her it was up to her. She took it to heart, and for a few weeks I kept bringing it up and we argued and finally, Otto suggested we give her two weeks to think it over WITHOUT BADGERING HER, MIR, and we would talk again.

Last night before bed, she came downstairs and told us she’s ready to try the new med, blood draws and all. She needed time, and to feel like it was on her terms, but she made the right choice, all on her own. It was a superb ending to an already good day.

38 Responses to “Number six!”

Beth R August 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

Whoo hooo! Yay for Chickadee and making grown-up choices :)

Beth R August 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

(hit the button too soon)

And Yay for Otto for making space for her to do so :)

Jen August 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

That Otto sure is smart. Must not let him know, though…

Jill August 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Good for her!

Jodifur August 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Smart kid, smart husband you have there.

Leandra August 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Somebody asked me recently what was a lesson that I keep having to learn over and over and I said it was knowing when to shut up and let things run their course. I was referring to my husband, but I’m also beginning to see that it has other applications too.

Trying to force things rarely works, does it? I need to have it tattooed on my forehead, I think.

Yay for Chickie and yay for ALL of you. Things sure seem like they’re looking up at Casa Mir. :)

Katie in MA August 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

My goodness, that girl reminds me of me sometimes. :) Glad all is well. What a wonderful week of much-needed good news from Casa de Mir. Ice cream for everyone, I say!

KarenP August 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

Yay for Chickadee! Smart girl.

jodi August 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

What great news! I think we all have a little bit of Chickadee in us and don’t like to be told what/when/why/how. It’s hard as parents to realize they have their own little brains inside those knuckle heads.

meghann August 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Good for you guys, for being able to back off, and good for Chickadee for making the right choice!

That’s one of the hardest parts of watching these baby birds grow, letting them teeter around on the edge of the nest and start making their own decisions.

My Kids Mom August 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

Oh, I hope the needle phobia can be conquered. My kids used to watch me get stabbed in each arm for allergy shots, after which they each got a sticker. (No one ever asked if I wanted a sticker.) I think it helped them a lot, as they didn’t fuss much at their own dr appts.

el-e-e August 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Very good news for Chickie! I hope the treatment will really help her. Hope you all celebrate this week (it’s Friday night, yeah!!) in a big way. :)

Scottsdale Girl August 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

At MyKidsMom – HA! I would have asked for a lollipop! :)

Learning to SHUT UP and see what happens is the downfall of the ages. Thanks for reminding us to actually try it now and then. :)

MomCat August 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

It’s good you didn’t do anything…rash. (I’ll just go now, shall I?)

Lynn in Mass August 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

WAY TO GO, to Otto and you, Mir for letting Chickadee “think about it”. Big round of a plause goes to Chickadee for making the decision to give it a try.

(on another note. I was an avid reader and recently been super busy and missed quite few. I was happy to read Good News)

I dread the days of my kids getting so busy that I don’t get to see them as much. Yah for family dinner time

amy August 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Good for her. This will make her feel so in control and proud of her decision. Goodness, can you be MY mom?!?! Please?!

Angela August 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

Way to go Chicky! That is great!

Karen R. August 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

What a fabulous week! Congratulations to all, and I hope this treatment is highly effective.

liz August 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Lovely!

dad August 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Things are going so well!
    Today is the day to buy a ticket for the Powerball Lottery.

Savour this.

Jamie August 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

WOO HOO!

Beth August 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

That is awesome. I hope I remember that little piece of parenting brilliance when I need to. Maybe I’ll stick a Post It note to my head.

I hope the treatment works for her!

Amy August 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

YAY Chickie!!

Tenessa August 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

GO CHICKIE!!!

E's Mommy August 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

Aw, Chickie is awesome! And much more mature than I was at her age. Otto is awesome too. Yay everybody! Glad you’re having such an great day, it was about time for one of those to come your way.

Chuck August 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

Whoop whoop!

Sheila August 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

You’ve deserved those six moments for quite some time now. Happy for you all.

Kathy August 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

If my counting is correct … that’s two good days IN A ROW?! Celebrate, friend!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

Kethrim August 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

Good for her! Here’s hoping that it works well!

Laura August 12, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Oh, that’s great! Good for her and making very mature choices.

Megan August 12, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

Doesn’t it always shock you when they do that thing? That thing where they grow up, and become logical, thinking, independent, reasonable people on their own?

Yah. Shocks me too.

But glad Chickie is there for this!

addy August 13, 2011 at 7:44 am #

Don’t ya just luv that guy?!

Stacy August 13, 2011 at 10:12 am #

Yay!!! That Otto is one smart man, I hope you keep him!

Anna August 14, 2011 at 1:06 am #

That’s great, for everyone. Do you ever have those moments when you know this is going to be a healthy growing experience- in a good way? To make a tough decision, for the right reasons, that’s a big, big deal.

Why am I telling you this? ;) Ah- because I get all weepy when I see that happen here.

Cele August 14, 2011 at 9:40 am #

Woo hoo, there she goes and Otto is wise.

Karen August 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

You clearly know your child better than the rest of us. (I know! Imagine that!) I proud that she came to terms with her fears in her own way.

Stacy August 15, 2011 at 2:13 am #

Hi Mir – My son is a liver transplant recipient (6-1/2 years ago from his paternal grandma). Anyhoo – he does takes an anti-rejection med. So, I’m assuming the lab draws are to check the level of medication in her blood. (Tanner is on Prograf for reference sake.)

It is a miracle drug for my son – he literally wouldn’t be alive without it. But, it does have some side effects – and we’ve seen it cause some weird side effects in beloved friends. Some of these side effects don’t appear to be written up in the literature they hand out. If you want any first hand perspective, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Oh, and as far as the needles, make sure they are using a butterfly needle and if you can swing it, have them drawn at a children’s hospital (or remote clinics if they are closer). They are WAY better than adult locations for labs. EMLA can be good – but we’ve never had to use it with good lab techs.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Wait-and-seeing and being seen | Woulda Coulda Shoulda - August 23, 2011

[...] bad news is that the new, potentially miraculous medication Chickadee finally agreed to try is making her sick as a dog. I stupidly started her on it on Friday, figuring it would give her the [...]