Love is grateful, day 5

Today I’m grateful for writing, even on days like today, when I don’t want to, I’m not “feeling” it, and I would rather be in bed with the covers over my head. And I’m grateful for all of the people who encouraged me along the way.

This is the (very worn) back cover of my 6th grade yearbook. (Thank you, Mrs. Simons—it took me a while to get around to it, but you can rest easy knowing you were right after all.) And thank you to every single one of you who stops by my little corner of the ‘net, too.

19 Responses to “Love is grateful, day 5”

Heather November 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

It’s pretty awesome to have people who believe in you, and who have for so long, too. Here’s to your Mrs Simons, and all the other Mrs Simons out there! :)

Chris November 22, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

Love.

FreeRange Pamela November 22, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

Oh, I had a teacher like that in high school. So inspirational. She still holds such a special place in my heart, and had such a big role in encouraging me to be what I wanted to be.

Annette November 22, 2010 at 5:15 pm #

Today, I am grateful for you and your writing and Mrs. Simon’s encouragement as well:)

ellen November 22, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

Well, that inspired me to continue to encourage those students I have with wonderful potential and be grateful for them. I always figured they ignored my yearbook thoughts.

Lynn MacDonald November 22, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

Isn’t it nice to have someone believe in you. Sometimes it’s the little things that get you through. Even something innocuous like someday you’ll be …

Although sometimes, it’s nice just to STAY IN BED!

See ya

The Toweled Avenger November 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm #

Hey – all of those notes exchanged in high school kept you in practice, so I deserve at least some of the credit. ;)

Amy November 22, 2010 at 7:41 pm #

Goosebumps! (says a 6th grade teacher) I wonder which of my kids will grow up to be scientists? I know of a few who are headed that way and it is an amazing feeling to know something I did when they were 11 helped shape them.

Flea November 22, 2010 at 9:21 pm #

I’m grateful for anyone who tells good stories and makes me laugh. Which means I’m grateful for you, Mir. :)

KMayer November 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm #

I keep a framed note from a college professor, who I bet doesn’t even remember my name, but wrote me a similar vote of confidence a million years ago. I read it, and wonder, was I ever as good as she thought I was?

Half Assed Kitchen November 23, 2010 at 1:06 am #

That’s awesome.

Lady M November 23, 2010 at 4:31 am #

I don’t remember Mrs. Simons, but she was right!

Brigitte November 23, 2010 at 6:23 am #

I have friends whose teachers out-and-out told them they’d never make anything of themselves (and were, of course, completely wrong).

It’s wonderful to see Mrs. Simon’s note; a big YAY! for her and all the teachers like her!

J from Ireland November 23, 2010 at 6:33 am #

Love this corner of the ‘net xx

Karen November 23, 2010 at 7:03 am #

My English teacher was Mr. Coppolino. I still have a crush on him…and darn it, he never did sign my yearbook.

Sheila November 23, 2010 at 9:44 am #

Smart lady, that teacher.

Aimee November 23, 2010 at 10:14 am #

Hooray for all the Mrs. Simons’ of the world! That note is so great. I love the double underline of the word “writer” like she knew that was THE word.

The teacher who first encouraged my writing was Ms. Cragin, and the one who really PUSHED me to be a better writer was Mr. Ghiorse. I’ll never forget them.

Jean November 23, 2010 at 11:44 am #

Mir, I am grateful that you have found a voice on the internet. Your writing has pulled me through many a dull and boring day. Thank you and good for your teacher and her insight.

Katie in MA November 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

We are just as grateful to you, Mir, for making us laugh, reflect, count blessings, and spend more on shoe deals. :)