Whirlwind

The invaders on my tomatoes were so horrible, I decided to run away from home.

Actually, I’d decided to go before that particular discovery, but nonetheless, yesterday afternoon I got myself to the airport and got on a plane and crossed the country to check out the Rockies. Oh, and also to hang out with my darling Kira. And snoogle her baby. And pick up all three of her boys and tuck them into my pockets. (Note to self: Get bigger pockets.)

Shortly before I left, we received word that Otto’s mom had been taken into transplant surgery overnight; when my plane took off, she’d already gotten a new liver. When I woke up this morning, she’d gotten a new kidney, too. I can’t speak for the rest of Otto’s family, obviously, but after we almost lost her last year we doubted this day would ever come. But it has. And so far, so good.

That means that even though I woke up at 4:30 (local time) today, I’m thinking it’s a pretty fine start to the week.

33 Responses to “Whirlwind”

divrchk June 15, 2009 at 9:18 am #

Wow! Have a great vacation and I’m so glad Otto’s mom is doing well. Keep us posted!

Mit June 15, 2009 at 9:28 am #

Yay! Mir and Kira together. This should be full of wonderful images and stories to share with us.

Aubri June 15, 2009 at 9:37 am #

Oh good! Yay for Otto’s mom! And yay for Kira and her cute kiddos, I’m glad you’re having such a good start to a great vacation. If anyone deserves it, it is YOU!

Megan June 15, 2009 at 9:40 am #

Hope you enjoy your time in the Rocky area (I live in the shadow of some of ‘em – maybe this nice coolish weather we’ve been having will stick around for you?). You did pack lots of sun screen, right? RIGHT?

Sorry, Child 3 just left for camp and had to be sent back three times for forgotten items (yes, including the toothbrush) so possibly my Mum-dar is on overdrive or something. [but seriously, you packed it, right?]

So glad to hear about the transplants, hope all continues to go well for her and all the Ottonians.

bob June 15, 2009 at 10:02 am #

well wishes for a speedy recovery to Otto’s mom; thinking of Otto, and, of course, you.

StephLove June 15, 2009 at 10:09 am #

New life and a new lease on life. Sounds pretty good.

Enjoy your trip and best wishes to Otto’s mother.

Jamie AZ June 15, 2009 at 10:11 am #

Enjoy your Colorado visit and best wishes to Otto’s mother for a speedy recovery. Will be thinking happy thoughts for her.

Jen June 15, 2009 at 10:11 am #

Wow, what a great day! Hoping the week just gets better, too…

Half Assed Kitchen June 15, 2009 at 10:25 am #

Hooray for modern medicine! Hope Otto’s mom continues to do well.

carolyn June 15, 2009 at 10:28 am #

Hey, I’ve been in Colorado for the last week, visiting my sis and her family. So different from SC. We have really enjoyed the cool temps and serious lack of humidity. I’d move here for good simply to enjoy the way my hair behaves! Sad, I know.

Hope you have a good visit….

Tammy June 15, 2009 at 10:40 am #

What is it about CO? It seems like everyone I know is either moving there or visiting! Glad that you had a safe trip & am keeping Otto’s family in my prayers.

RuthWells June 15, 2009 at 10:44 am #

Amazing news re: Otto’s mom. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Annette June 15, 2009 at 11:21 am #

How bizarre. I was just thinking this morning, I should e-mail Mir and ask her about Otto’s mom…Why would I think about that this morning? Insert Twilight Zone music…

Keeping you all in my prayers! Have a great trip! I am jealous! I want to go visit a friend!

Lylah June 15, 2009 at 11:29 am #

I am so happy to hear this news! Wishing her a good, fast recovery.

Have an excellent time snoogling the baby!

steff June 15, 2009 at 11:35 am #

I want you to know my father is a nearly 20 year liver transplant recipient and a just celebrated 7 year kidney transplant recipient! He is perfectly healthy!!

Hip Hip Hooray for Organ Donors!

Lucinda June 15, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

Glad to hear the good news about Otto’s mom. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Aimee June 15, 2009 at 12:11 pm #

Oh wow… thought and prayers for Otto’s mom and her brand spankin’ new internal organs!

Have a great trip!

Katie in MA June 15, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

Hooray for Otto’s Mom! Wishing her a speedy and peaceful recovery.

And hope you have a fun and blogworthy vacation with Ms. Kira and her sweet little babe. (But not so much fun that you neglect us, okay?)

Karishma June 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm #

sounds like good news all around! sending my best wishes your way.

Mama in Suburbia June 15, 2009 at 1:06 pm #

Have a great trip and wishing Otto’s mom a quick recovery.

Anna Marie June 15, 2009 at 2:48 pm #

Wow – two new organs! That’s fantastic. Here’s hoping she has a speedy recovery.

The Other Leanne June 15, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

*pauses to appreciate the special grace within gift of organ donation, for both giver and recipient*
    Glad to hear OttoMom has a new lease on life. Have a safe and fun trip.

Sheila June 15, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

Modern medicine and modern modes of transportation both have something going for them, ain’a?

Glad the news is good.

Melissa June 15, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

So glad to hear the news is good. Enjoy your trip! We hope Colorado rolls out a nice welcome for you, although looking out the window at the moment it’s not so promising.

pharmgirl June 15, 2009 at 4:40 pm #

I LOVE Kiwords and had no idea that the two of you were connected, but it does make perfect sense.

Rock on OttoMOM! And many, many silent prayers of gratitude for her donors. God Bless.

Hopefully, this will make many more sign their licenses!

Heather June 15, 2009 at 9:29 pm #

Hooray for new parts! :) Have a great time with Kira! :)

Flea June 15, 2009 at 11:06 pm #

Sounds like a fantastic start to a new week. Here’s praying everything takes and life is long and good.

Paula June 16, 2009 at 5:14 am #

Good to hear about successful transplantations. My husband is also on a transplant list, but refused a transplantation up to today, because he is still able to work and enjoy life. (Well, I do not know how he would decide if he only had the choice between living or dying.)
    I wish Otto’s mother the very very best.

Brigitte June 16, 2009 at 5:58 am #

Crossing fingers that you can relax and enjoy your visit with Kira, and even more for Otto and his mom!

Dawn June 16, 2009 at 8:01 am #

I teared up in my coffee reading about Otto’s Mom. What an incredible gift- absolutely wonderful news. Thanks for sharing, Mir. I will keep you all in my prayers as she recovers.

Melisa June 16, 2009 at 11:14 am #

What a lovely, lovely gift. Best wishes to Ottomom and a prayer of peace and thanks to the families of the donors.

Norma June 16, 2009 at 6:45 pm #

My mother had a liver transplant four years ago. She is doing so well and feels wonderful. It is a long process to get back to normal but worth all the trouble. Best wishes to her and the family.

Dawn June 17, 2009 at 6:36 pm #

So glad to hear Otto’s mom got her transplants! Wishing her all the best and many years of fabulous health.

Kiwords is your Kira. Somehow, I missed that connection. Love her blog. Say hi to her from teh people of teh interwebs!