Reading once, reading twice. . .

… Reading books is very nice. (You’re welcome for sticking this in your head. No need to thank me.)

I would love to tell you something really meaningful and life-changing, tonight, but I’ve got nothing. Well, I have a bunch of laundry that needs to be put away, and NO COOKIES, and a couple of children who probably need a shower, and some parakeets that don’t belong to me (oh, don’t even ask), but nothing worth going on about.

Instead, allow me to revel in my geeky bookworm ways and refer you to other places where I had something to say, earlier… before I realized I was out of cookies.

If you go read me over at Maya’s Mom (a new parenting website with all kinds of good stuff, by the way; check it out) you can learn about some of my favorite books to share with my kids. (This piece is the third in a series I’m writing weekly for Maya’s Mom on all things kiddie lit.)

And if you go read me over at Ty’s you can enter your name in a drawing for free books that are guaranteed to please either your actual children or your inner 10-year-old boy. You don’t have to tell me which one.

15 Responses to “Reading once, reading twice. . .”

Cele January 19, 2007 at 12:27 am #

Mir, repeat after me…

Now I lay me down to sleep

shhhhh!

meghann January 19, 2007 at 4:16 am #

Hmm, I have a rose bush looking pretty sad right now, I guess I need to go dump some chicken soup with rice on it.

Glad to see I’m not the only one that blogs late at night.

Karen January 19, 2007 at 6:55 am #

I loooooved, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle!
    Kid lit
    Two words
    Natalie Babbitt.
    Look for one of her first books “Phoebe’s Revolt”, at the library, for Chickadee. Available used on Amazon too, and of course “Tuck Everlasting”, when they’re just a mite older. But she has wonderful books in between (“The Search for Delicious”, “Goody Hall”, “Kneeknock Rise”), great read for parents and kids alike, all of them Genius.

(PS got the catd downloaded yesterday, thank you!)

Rissa Roo January 19, 2007 at 9:13 am #

OHMIGOD!!! I have deperately been trying to remember the name of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books for 3 years!! My son is 6 and would benefit enormously from hearing about some of the problems and cures. I loved this book as a child but everytime I have tried to remember the name I came up with From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler–very good as well.

Thank you!!

David January 19, 2007 at 10:24 am #

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle? Mrs Frankweiler? Boy, does that take me back. *sigh*

Stephanie January 19, 2007 at 11:18 am #

Love your posts at Maya’s Mom.

shannon January 19, 2007 at 11:29 am #

Thank you for reminding me of Maurice Sendak’s words. I have a little “nutshell library” of his with that book (Chicken Soup with Rice) as well as Pierre, Alligators all Around and One was Johnny. The “library” is a bit worn, but loved…

wordgirl January 19, 2007 at 12:07 pm #

As a former teacher I never tire of children’s books. I still enjoy re-reading the books I loved as a kid. One favorite? “Harriet the Spy”.

Liise January 19, 2007 at 2:38 pm #

OMG I love love LUVVA BIG PINK PUFFY HART
    “harriet the spy”

Man!

Heidi January 19, 2007 at 2:54 pm #

Yes indeedy, as a full-fledged adult, I am proud to say I have my very own copy of Harriet The Spy.

Amy-Go January 19, 2007 at 5:02 pm #

Mmmmm…books. Mmmmm…cookies.

You’re such a bad influence. ;)

Daisy January 19, 2007 at 6:26 pm #

One thing I enjoy about my work (teaching 6th grade) is that I must, absolutely must, read new kid lit as it comes out. My latest new favorite is Small Steps by Louis Sachar — a spin-off on the book Holes. (Not exactly a sequel)

Aubri January 20, 2007 at 9:07 am #

Gosh that felt good! I really loved that book as a kid. I made my mother read it to me thirty-jillion times… Chicken soup with rice was my all time favorite meal anyway, and I liked the pictures… :-)

I must also agree on the Harriet The Spy comments… good stuff. But I’m sad to see Amelia Bedilia, and Eloise left out! And what about Madeline?

Have a wonderful, wonderful day!

Crisanne January 20, 2007 at 2:12 pm #

Thanks for the tips for the free books! I love Chicken Soup with Rice as a kid. My Great- Aunt, Nana read it to me all the time! What fantastic memories!!

Cynthia Samuels January 22, 2007 at 8:33 am #

I can do Chicken Soup w/Rice and Pierre Said I Don’t Care not only in my sleep but probably from a coma. My own faves though are for kids a bit older: The Indian in the Cupboard, Harriet the Spy, A Wrinkle in Time, Danny the Champion of the World are a few. I used to review kids’ books for newspapers and just love reading them. One of my guilty (very guilty) pleasures is reading the Traveling Pants seris while STILL IN HARDBACK!